Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Golden Crowned Sparrow

I'm surprised I never noticed these birds before. They must have been around as it seems to be their normal range. It wasn't until a week or two ago that Connie said something about some strange birds at the feeder with gold caps on their heads.

She looked in the bird book and identified them as Golden Crowned Sparrows. Funny thing is, we're regular bird watchers and neither of us recall seeing them before and we've been watching backyard birds for decades.

Anyone else who hasn't seen these birds around here before now?

Photo stolen from Wikipedia.

3 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, those birds are EVERYWHERE in Humboldt

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I suppose they are, but neither of us noticed them before. We've certainly noticed the White Crowned Sparrows. They're probably the most dominant bird in our yard right now, but I never noticed the golden ones until just recently.

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a few GC Sparrows this time last year for about a month or two and that was it. They have returned, but only one or two at at most. Based on my observation, they're not very ubiquitous as I've only seen them in my backyard munching on birdseed that's spilled on the ground from the feeders.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home