Friday, June 24, 2005

Debbie August Case Dismissed

The last charge against Debbi August has been dismissed. I've questioned earlier here whether this case should have been brought before the court to begin with. So, her life can try to go back on track but it will never be the same. She's supposedly spent her retirement account money on legal fees. This kinds stuff really burns me up, especially when I hear, as I have so many times, "Let's just take it to court and see what the judge says....", like it's just some casual trip to the grocery store, or some such. Seems to me I've heard such comments a number of times, often by lawyers, as one would expect.

But it's not just lawyers that feel that way. A lot of people who should know better don't realize, not just what a disruption in one's life going to court can be, but the financial and personal cost of such actions as well. Filing criminal or civil charges against someone should never be taken lightly.

5 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

Hear hear. or is that here here? The court system has a parasitic nature as well as a legitmate role. As the quote Utah Philips stole goes, 'most politicians are lawyers. Lawyers making laws, why that's like doctors creating diseases.' I can't speak at all about the case, but the attitude of rush to court burns me. Court rhymes with last resort for a reason, (albeit one I just made up).

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm disgusted at what happened with the grand jury evidence and how that person left the courtroom with August, "their arms around each other," according to the T-S. This stinks to high heaven.

But, this is the same county that dismissed a case against another councilmember from another nearby city after he was arrested for shoplifting, with video footage and all.

Two different cases. Both stink. There is nothing to rejoice about here.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

Ah yes, good old Stan Dixon and the wrinkle cream.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

And that's a case that didn't need the weight of the court on it. Mr. Dixon was silly and vain to steal the wrinkle cream, but I think we can forgive him his vanity, and he was a decent councilman. The accusations against Debbi August seemed more serious, and maybe that case did need to go before a judge. I just don't know enough to comment, (and yet I am)

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had never met Judith (Grand Jury Foreperson 2003) prior to her court appearance. AND I did not walk out arm in arm with her from the court house. I walked out with my sister and my attorneys. One should never believe what they read in the papers, especially the TS.
Debi August

 

Post a Comment

<< Home