Thursday, August 18, 2005

HSU Needs Advertising?

It's apparently not available online, but the front page of the Times Standard today shows a crew putting in turf and sprucing up the entrance of Humboldt State University. The accompanying story tells of HSU's enrollment being down and what a tragedy that is [my interpretation, of course]. The story goes on to say that not enough people know about the university and that's whats responsible for the low enrollment so they need to increase their outreach and advertising to give the institution a higher profile.

Hmmm... I thought it we had a crisis with people not being able to afford college and the university system funding cuts were putting the state and nation at risk. I would think potential students would be looking high and low for a college they could afford and that would appeal to their needs. I guess not. Or maybe...hopefully...more young folks are realizing they don't need to mortgage their future by paying for years of college when they can be just as successful in life without wasting their time and money for college? Probably not, but let's hope so.

2 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Blogger Tor said...

I think I'll repeat my conviction that government should have nothing to do with the education of the young people of this country. I realize the education that my father had as an eighth grade dropout far surpassed the education many students of government-run colleges receive today. Let's scrap the whole concept and start over.

Peace,

Tor

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Agreed, except scrapping the Education- Industrial Complex is even less politically correct and thus would be even more difficult to get rid of (or even downsize) than the Military- Industrial Complex.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home