Saturday, November 26, 2005

GOP Steps Up To The Plate

I'm actually kind of surprised the local Republicans were the first to jump on the anti- gay marriage resolution bandwagon. You'd think they'd want to be a little more low key in order to not come off as such a far right wing bunch. But, no, they jump to the forefront with the "marriage is under attack..." line. I'll never understand why some folks think their marriage is under attack simply by allowing others to get married. This will further put the Republicans, in the eyes of many around here, as the home the hard right wingers.

That said, it's probably a pretty safe bet as far as politics go. Legislation that attacks minorities is relatively easy for voters to get behind. Prop 22, the anti gay marriage initiative on the ballot years ago, passed by a fairly wide margin. Taxes on smokers and the rich seem a fairly safe bet, as well, although the last tax on tobacco in this state barely passed. Maybe that's a good sign that people in this state are coming around to the fact that what goes around comes around? That when you tax one group, the next group won't be far behind? I hope so, but I won't hold my breath waiting for people to become enlightened in this state.

"I don't smoke so I don't care about that one...". Comment made to me when I was gathering signatures to get prop 10, repeal of the last tobacco tax, on the ballot.
*********
First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.Then they came for me but there was no one left to speak out for me.
- Pastor Niemoller

1 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a big feeling in my gut that it's time to leave Humboldt County. Just let the freak show drive this area into the ground.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home