Friday, November 25, 2005

Supes To Mull Gay Marriage Resolution

The Humboldt County Human Rights Commission will be proposing a Resolution in Support of Gay Marriage, or some such thing, to the Board of Supervisors. Despite being a strong proponent of the gay community being allowed to marry, I've said before I'm uneasy with such resolutions if only because the Board of Supervisors supposedly represents the community and not all in the community might agree with such resolutions.

That said, it might seem unprincipled, but I hope the Supes pass the resolution. I'm curious how the Supes, especially Roger Rodoni, will vote on the issue? I suspect they'll end up sweeping it under the carpet and tabling it, never to be heard from again.

You can be sure there'll be some strong words spoken in opposition to the resolution. I wonder who the main opponents will be? Will they be from the religious community, the Republicans, or perhaps some other local gadflies that take a stand on any issue that comes up? I'll be watching.
************

Jill Stewart has a pretty right- on commentary on the future of the state's finances in today's SF Chronicle. You may have heard that state revenue has been better than expected as of late. Kudo's to most of the commentaries I've read in the papers cautioning against excess optimism. I think Jill takes it a bit further and that she's right on the money.
************

And speaking of student enrollment declines around the state, as is happening locally, the Sacramento Bee ran a column today on how the Sacramento area schools are dealing with declining enrollment. It seems some schools, albeit not all, are hiring administrative staff even while they lay off teachers. Wonder if they're doing any of that up here? I know someone who works at the County Office of Education and he's expressed worries about being laid off on occassion. I told him it's not likely to happen.

Some administrators rationalize the hiring of administrators over the hiring of teachers as a result of more initiatives and regulations at the state and federal level that require more administrative work. Whatever. Sounds like a problem with government to me.


3 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Fred,
Leonidas has taken your advice and begun his own blog: http://fightingintheshade.blogspot.com/ You may use the contents of my recent email as a comment for this posting.

MOLON LABE

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Way to go, Leo! I've already made my first comment.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Great,
after they debate this one they can move on to the important issues such as: sanctuary,troop withdrawal, school prayer, Bush/Cheney impeachment and immigration. At least they'll be too busy to dream up another way to pick the taxpayers pocket.

MOLON LABE

 

Post a Comment

<< Home