Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Nanning Creek Plus An Ideology Quiz

Look out Times- Standard! Verbena, on the Redwood Peace and Justice Center e-mail list, followed up with Kim Starr's e-mail to some of the folks at your paper with a call for more letters to be sent requesting coverage of the Nanning Creek Demonstrations. So, not only will Driscoll and Winkler possibly see their inboxes full of more requests for coverage, readers might well see an influx of letters to the editor regarding the same.

I wonder how effective such a call to action over that e-mail list will be? I'm sure it might generate a few letters to the editor outside of those that might have been sent anyway. Sometimes such efforts can be disappointing. I remember being relieved back when Paul Gallegos was running for D.A. Someone sent notice of some fundraiser/ meeting in support of Gallegos over the RPJC e-mail list, urging everyone to attend. After the event took place the same guy writes to the list chastising everyone cause only a handful of people showed up. Good. I'm not alone, thought I.

Years ago I sent notice of a presidential poll out over the county LP e-mail list. I sent it out to 35 people, or so. Neat thing about that poll was you could go back and see how the people in your county voted. I went back after a few days and there were only seven votes from Humboldt, all of them for LP candidate, Harry Browne. Boy, pretty pathetic response, as all one had to do was click on the link and cast a vote. Oh well.
***********
I don't believe I ever mentioned this ideology quiz here before, as I was fooling around with it long before I started this blog. I took this Selectsmart Ideology Quiz a few years ago and passed it around via some e-mail lists. It's changed a little since the first time I took it. I had it bookmarked for a long time and then noticed one day the page was gone. A shame, so I thought, but then saw the new quiz on the new page mentioned on lewrockwell.com today.

This quiz is interesting because, based on how you answer all the questions, it classifies you as not only liberal, conservative or libertarian ( plus others, like "Radical"), it also has qualifiers added to each of those. For instance, I scored Paleolibertarian this time just like I did when I took it before. It then lists the other categories you fit in with from closest to furthest. For example, here's how I scored today:

#1: Paleo-libertarian
#2 Left-libertarian
#3: Radical
#4: Libertarian
#5: Paleoconservative

#6: Third Way
#7: Centrist
#8: Conservative
#9: Neoconservative
#10: Liberal


So, I scored as a Paleolib with Leftlib being my runner up (which surprises me) and I'm furthest away from being Liberal. Funny thing is, that order can change just from changing one answer from Yes to Not Sure. I took that quiz three or four times years ago when I was playing with it and each time the order would change at least a little, although I think I scored Paleolib for number one except maybe once despite my different answers. My answers seemed to always change a little depending on what mood I was in at the time.

I didn't notice this morning whether they still had a link to a page of descriptions of the various ideologies. Seems to me they used to have something like that on their page. But, if you fill in the blank with your e-mail address, they send you your score with links to web sites that supposedly reflect the different ideologies. Whatever. Take the test and see how you do and let us all know in the comments section

7 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Blogger Pamela Reece said...

Fred, here are my results:
1. Conservative
2. Neoconservative
3. Paleo Conservative
4. Centrist
5. Liberal
6. Third Way
7. Paleo-Libertarian
8. Libertarian
9. Radical
10.Left Liberal

No suprise there at my #1!!!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I figured as much. That's pretty scary, Pam. :-)

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These kinds of quizzes don't tell you anything, unless you get your news straight from the Pentagon. The following question fails to acknowledge human rights abuses by the US:

10. Should trade with China be linked to its human rights record?

Should China stop trading with the US based on Abu Ghraib and US secret prisons?

And asking if the government should be allowed to regulate obscene material is to assume that the government and the quiz-taker agree on what constitutes obscene material. Why doesn't it ask if the government should be allowed to read your emails or listen in on your phone calls?

The question about racism was great. "22. Should businesses be allowed to discriminate in hiring and providing services on the basis of race?" Jesus! If I say no am I a "Radical?" Why isn't there a question about whether it’s okay to discriminate on the basis of sex? Or whether it’s okay to discipline your children with a stick? You know, spare the rod, spoil the child.

I think I'll make my own assessments about my political ideology, rather than leave it to a website that flashes a blonde woman's cleavage and a movie stars silicon lips at me.

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fred,

Looks like the pressure on the Times-Standard to report on Nanning Creek worked.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yep, I saw that. No need to write your own story now, huh?

Hmmm...I just realized they never e-mailed me to give me thanks for my permission to publish the story.

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, but did you READ it? Or is it old news;)

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I browsed through the part on page 1 and tried to remember to read the part on the back page but, by the time I got there, I'd lost interest because it was old news. :-)))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home