Saturday, January 28, 2006

Go Industrial Hemp!!!

I was surprised this bill, that legalizes the growing of industrial hemp, made it through the State Assembly. Kudos to our Assemblybabe, Patty Berg, for co- sponsoring it.

A few years ago, a similar bill by then Assemblygal, Virginia Strom- Martin, failed to make it through the Assembly Agriculture Committee. That Committee is dominated by Democrats (as are all committees in the state legislature). I figured, if it couldn't make it through that committee, the lobbying forces against industrial hemp must have be quite formidable and there'd be little hope that a bill like this would have any hope for passage.

But times seemed to have changed for the better. Even my colleague, Republican Mike Harvey, doesn't seem to have a problem with Industrial Hemp. He doesn't want this to lead to the slippery slope of legalizing marijuana, though (Always need to throw in some right wing comment at the end, don't you Mike?).

Bottom line is no one should be having to ask for permission to grow industrial hemp or marijuana, as far as I'm concerned. But, insomuch as we have to, this is a good step in the right direction. Question is; Will this bill make it through the State Senate and, if it does, will the Governator sign it? I don't know.

4 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred,

1. Is it better if I don't comment at all? I think I added a positive and INDEPENDENT-MINDED view from the right...NOT RIGHT-WING obviously!

2. How many Republicans in the Assembly voted for the bill? My count is 0. Hello Fred...the glass isn't always half empty.

Mike Harvey out

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

No, Mike, I love it when people give me something to comment on.
:-)))

I thought I read in some news account of the bill that a Republican co-sponsored the bill, but maybe I'm thinking of some other bill? I'll check.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Only four names that I could find as sponsors or co-sponsors. All democrats. I must be thinking of something else.

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred,

My comment was about as right-wing as you being socially moderate...

Off to coach a basketball game.

Smile...it passed the first of three big steps. Ultra-liberal, flaming, flame-thrower Mark Leno co-authored this bill if I'm not mistaken. With this said I have not read the bill but my comments were on the general idea.

Mike Harvey out

 

Post a Comment

<< Home