Monday, January 16, 2006

LPers, Election 2006 and Beyond

I used to look forward to election season with some enthusiasm. Now, as I mentioned a while ago, I was kinda hoping this one would pass me by. But, it looks like the Libertarian Party of California has a pretty full slate of candidates. All the statewide offices are covered, from Governor to U.S. Senate, and Humboldt has its Congressional, State Senate and Assembly seats covered.

Got a call from Tom Reed, our State Assembly candidate a while back. I agreed to help him gather some signatures to help defray filing costs. Ken Weissman, our candidate for State Attorney General sent me a copy of his Signatures In Lieu Of petition. I'll start on his right away. Good thing about statewide candidates is it doesn't all depend on me as candidates can get signatures from across the state. For the more local candidates it pretty much depends on just me to get the signatures, at least for Humboldt County. That gets a bit tiresome. I'll make an effort at it though.

Some LPers seem to have maintained their interest in electoral politics, or at least seem to have a bit more enthusiasm for it than I do. Girondin started a blog recently where he looks all the way forward to the 2008 presidential possibilities for the Libertarian Party. He lists 25 potential candidates although why he includes that ate up hag, Cindy Sheehan, is beyond me.

Doesn't really matter to me who runs, since we're not likely to come close to winning anyway. It is nice to have a Libertarian to vote for, especially since I don't see any potential Republican or Democratic candidates as being worth wasting a vote on. So, I went along with Girondin and signed his Draft Mary Ruwart petition he just linked to on his blog. Mary Ruwart is the author of that libertarian literary staple Healing Our World (available for reading online). Not that writing a book in and of itself qualifies someone as a presidential candidate, but she's cute, and that does. See, I told you I was capable of casting my vote for frivolous reasons at times.

Ed Thompson, who won two counties in his bid for Governor of Wisconsin a few years ago would be my other choice, maybe my first. He doesn't have a Draft Thompson petition to sign yet, though. There's still plenty of time to change my mind.

2 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Cindy Sheehan on the same list as Mary Ruwart? That's like having a dessert menu containing dog poop and ice cream.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

That would be a good analogy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home