Tuesday, August 15, 2006

North Coast Travelogue, 8/20- 8/21

Made another one of those long trips to UCSF on Sunday. A pleasant surprise down at Confusion Hill: The road beneath the slide area is freshly paved- makes for a surprisingly smooth ride. A few other freshly paved areas between there and Laytonville, as well. Kinda nice.
********

The breakfast room at the Day's Inn in Novato definitely needs some work. I mentioned last time it didn't seem to be too well maintained, although it was adequate. This time the hard boiled eggs weren't fully cooked. I just had four extra pieces of toast instead.

I also kind of wondered when their maintenance man came in to the breakfast room and started fiddling around restocking something around the coffee machines. Does this guy restock all the food items? Does he wash his hands? Maybe I'm just being paranoid but over the years I've gotten pretty concerned with hygiene, especially since I'm with someone who is very immune deficient.

We've had rooms right next to each other every time we've stayed there. First time it was room 219, then 215 and Sunday night was 217. Perfect placement as it makes it easy to peek out the door and see if any deer or wild turkey are out and about.

This time we got in the room and immediately noticed there wasn't a refrigerator or microwave. Not good, as we'd brought frozen microwave meals for dinner and had other things we needed to keep cool. Not to worry. I called the office and within a couple minutes a guy was there with a hand truck delivering our microwave and fridge.
*********

Whatever happened to plain old iced tea?

I've found iced tea is a necessity for summer travel in the hotter areas. Not only is it a refreshing drink, the caffeine it provides gives me a mental boost and I find it easier to avoid highway hypnosis, as they call it. Can't do without it anymore.

I don't normally drink the stuff regularly, at least not anymore, but a month or so ago we were down at UCSF and I had a sudden yankering to drink something besides water and thought of iced tea. We went down to the food court and none of the places had anything but those berry flavored teas. Talk about yuppies!

I didn't want any of that yuppie stuff. I wanted just regular, unsweetened, caffeinated iced tea. None to be found. Luckily, as we were leaving, we stopped by the Subway Sandwich place on the floor beneath the food court and were surprised to find they had good ol' Lipton Unsweetened Iced Tea.

So, after that we stopped at the Subway in Cloverdale assuming they'd have the same iced tea. Nope, just the yuppie berry flavored stuff.

So, what is it about me that, when I like something, it seems to go out of fashion with everyone else? You used to be able to get regular iced tea just about anywhere, years ago. Not anymore.

Whatever. It's actually not a problem now as we just make our own before we leave, minus the ice, and stop at various places along the way to refill our cups with ice. Some places charge more than others for a cup full of ice. One place charged the full cost of a drink just for a cup and ice. A couple places charge fifty cents per cup and some twenty five cents.

Best deal I found was the Shell station on the east side of 101 on the south end of Willits. I went in there Monday just to refill the small deteriorating cup I'd gotten at Subway in Frisco. They had nice solid plastic cups there and I decided to go ahead and pay for one. The lady only charged me twenty five cents for both the cup and ice.

I'll have to make that a regular stop. It actually already has been. I often buy gas there when heading north, but this last time I noticed that station on the south end of town- I forget the name- had gas for ten or twelve cents a gallon cheaper. I decided to give that place a try and assumed they had beverage machines that provided ice like most every other gas station.

Wrong. Not only did the gas pump not accept my debit card, they only sold bagged ice. Nice people and all but I'd rather just make one stop next time I go through there. I'll just pay the extra ten cents a gallon and buy at Shell. It's still cheaper than Humboldt gas.
********

Oh, finally stopped by that Real Goods place in Hopland, if only because we'd heard about their "Weird Bathrooms" and we both needed to make a pit stop. Nice place and luckily it wasn't anywhere near as hot as the last time we stopped in Hopland.

Kinda makes for a long bathroom break, though, cause you have to drive a two or three hundred feet to park and then walk up the pathway to the bathrooms. Also relatively pricey, assuming you go along with their request for the dollar donation per person visiting. I didn't see anybody enforcing the request. We were going to throw in two dollars but the wife bought something in their store so we figured that would suffice.

As far as the bathrooms, I don't know that I'd call them "weird". They're clean and all but I suppose the only thing weird about them is they're supposedly made completely out of recycled materials. I believe there was a sign saying the toilet stalls were made out of recycled prescription bottles. I'd call that neat, but not weird.

28 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time you stop in at Real Goods go down to the pond, and get some of the fish food and meet the giant catfish that hangs out under the dock. It is an experience not to be missed!

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger samoasoftball said...

I agree with your Ice Tea observation. What is with all those berry Ice Teas! Hate em!

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I almost wandered down to that pond, but I wanted to be on my way. I'll have to check it out next time. Thanks for the tip, 11:22.

Yeah, Rich. And that's if they even have any iced teas in the beverage dispensers. Some places don't and the only choice you have are those yuppie bottled iced teas in, what are they, twelve ounce bottles? That just doesn't cut it.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

How much do they sell Biodiesel for at realgoods? Never stopped in there to ask, and it seems to be the last place for bio before San Fran.

I worry how well they make it too.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"I worry how well they make it too.".

C'mon now, Anon.r. Didn't you have a similar concern about that biodiesel station in Laytonville(?). Don't trust anyone without a haircut, huh?

As an aside, I noticed in their store they had some kind of biodiesel machine. I assume you use it to make biodiesel, from the labeling on all the buttons. Don't know if it was for sale, or not.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

Yeah, they sell things to make bio, $1599 a pop. But really Fred, I worry about Biodiesel because there has been people who fuck up batches and then you have to replace your fuel system. And in order to use biodiesel, you pretty much sign a waver saying "well, it's might fault if your fuel breaks my engine"

And yeah, it's not so much the haircuts, but how much reefer they smoke while brewing a batch of fuel.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Nick Bravo said...

Attention please.

Buhne (http://buhnetribune.blogspot.com/) gets criticism of Hoover, Hoover objects, Buhne wipes out all comments. I guess we know who he works for now!

So in the spirit of free speech I have disabled comment moderation so feel free to exercise your right to free speech and rest assured I will not be bullied by the likes of Kevin Hoover, nor will I censor anyones right to free speech on my blog.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Jack Durham said...

Fred,
Believe it or not, you can get a pretty good ice tea at McDonalds. Just make sure you ask for the unsweetened stuff. It tastes almost exactly like the Lipton sun tea that's brewing up on my roof right now.

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what happened - what does buhne mean by comment hacking?

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger FaulknA said...

I worked at Real Goods for several years and although they are one screwed up employer the pond is cool. Take some fish food in your fist (after you've gotten their attention) and put it in the water. Then wait for the big catfish to put his mouth your fist. You can pull him onto the dock and check him out before he lets go and slides back into the water. It's truly an awesome experience.

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, faulkna, it is pure magic!
He is huge, and it is indeed truly an awesome experience.
He's like the old man of the deep.
You gotta meet him, Fred.

 
At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you look at nick bravo's blog you'll see how hoover was spoofed. of course it was only to post an edgar allen poe quote but apparently that was too threatening or something. buhne is such a coward and hoover is such a crybaby.

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rhink it would be the crude and nasty references to Hoover's daughter that buhne may have realized were way out of line.

Leave the kids out of this, guys.

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Nick Bravo said...

There were no crude references in regards to Hoovers daughter. It's all posted on my blog, go see for yourself.

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is Lily then?

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

Who is Lily then?

Hoover's kid I think.

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rest my case. I think you are right anon.r

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's buhne's blog. All commentors are guests in his space. People abused it. I don't blame him for not tolerating it. He allowed alot of vitriolic comments, and people took advantage of it. Some people owe buhne an apology and a promise to behave from now on.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Nick Bravo said...

Like I said, there were no derogatory comments in regards to Hoovers daughter Lilly.

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, Nick? Read the posts (see below) - when you are talking about a little kid, this is wrong.

Wrong.

I love you daddy but your a acting like a prick.# posted by Lilly Hoover : 4:58 PM

for example harmony said she was for public toilets but then voted against it.# posted by Lilly Hoover : 5:01 PM

Nick Bravo's fanclub is so much cooler than yours daddy.# posted by Lilly Hoover : 5:03 PM

Hey, Harmony Groves's myspace page is cool. I think she'll be my new role model. Would you like that daddy?http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=18859738# posted by Lilly Hoover : 5:11 PM

Hey, Harmony Groves's myspace page is cool. I think she'll be my new role model. Would you like that daddy?No Lilly, Ozzy is your role model. I wan't you to get off the computer and put Black Sabbath on the CD player right now! I'm going to talk to you when I get home.# posted by Kevin Hoover : 5:19 PM

Note, folks, that the "Kevin Hoover" blogger isn't me.It's probably Jan Johnson again. Just a guess.# posted by Kevin L. Hoover : 5:24 PM

No, I did it, I did it! Disemble no longer! Here, tear up the floorboards, here, here is the beating of his hideous heart!# posted by Kevin L. Hoover : 5:28 PM

and it's the heart of my ex-wife elizabeth.# posted by Kevin L. Hoover : 5:30 PM

Well that's weird. Someone has been able to post using my actual name and profile.I guess participating in this thing was a mistake after all. Guess I'll have to stop till it gets sorted out.It's been fun... sort of.Kevin, signing off.# posted by Kevin L. Hoover : 5:32 PM

Jeez, some people just can't take a joke. What, pray tell, was so threatening about a quote from Edgar Allen Poe?# posted by Kevin L. Hoover : 5:35 PM

It's probably Jan Johnson again. Just a guess. Yes, I'm behind everything. In fact, I'm standing behind you right now.# posted by Jan Johnson : 5:37 PM

# posted by Nick Bravo @ 6:11 PM 6 comments links to this post

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take the wife to Real Good's pond, Fred. It is a transcendental experience. She will love it!

 
At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with it whatsoever. It was clearly a spoof and any sane rational adult can see that.

Then again, few who read and/or comment on Buhnes blog are sane rational adults.

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even in the wild wild blogoshpere, some things are taboo. Bringing someone's kids into the vilification process is clearly not OK. spoof or no. It's not funny.

 
At 1:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon 552, stop trying to make it into something it wasn't.

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it seems harmless until it is your kid they are dragging in with violent overtones. Hoover should have complained. And buhne could have deleted the comments, but kept reasonable discussion, or done a post about etiquette. Shutting it down is his prerogative, though, it is HIS blog, not ours. We are guests in his space, just as we are in Fred's, and eric's, and heraldo's and jack's and steve's, and anon.r's.

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buhne, I hope you come back. You are performing a valuable service with your blog, whether you know it or not.

Delete the bad comments, file the bad ones, even submit them to the police if need be.

We miss you And we're not all nasty and weird.

What about an agreement between blog commentors, the anons, to leave kids out of the fray? Blog certified. Not that I want law and order in the last free frontier, but morality ought to be inherent, even here. Some level of respect.

 
At 2:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes the police should definitly be involved when someone spoofs the kid of an "important man" like Hoover. After all, the elites need to be protected from public scrutiny

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When someone who could be Jan Johnson, with a history of harrassing Hoover, may be drawing his kid into it, and his language may be deemed threatening, then yes, no matter who it is, it is fair to involve the police.

What do you guys have against Kevin now? Is there no end to this?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home