Wednesday, September 06, 2006

School's Out Early...Again

Is it just me? It seems to me kids spend less time in school nowadays than they did back when I was in school. Of course, I only know what I read in the papers and hear from other people. Maybe it just seems different now as an outsider?

Back when I went to school, I only remember maybe one or two days, outside of holidays and summer break, where you got to stay home, one of them being Parent- Teacher Conference Day. There might have been one other event, which escapes me now.

I suppose I could be right, though, after reading in the Times- Standard about "staff collaboration" day, which will have many schools in Eureka sending kids home early once a week. I can't help but think other school districts have the same sort of thing and wonder how many other special events schools take time off for now, as opposed to thirty or forty years ago.

This is probably the old required training as evident in the
"State law mandates a specific number of “instructional minutes per year,” mentioned in the T- S story. I think most government agencies do it. Whether it's really a good use of anyone's time, I don't know.

I suppose it depends on what that time is used for. I know when I worked at Juvenile Hall we had a certain amount of training we had to go through that was mandated by the State. Some was worthwhile, some wasn't.

It seemed to me, back then, the most important thing people needed in Juvenile Hall was experience, and you didn't get real experience going to training. I'm not sure how much that applies to our government schools. One thing is for certain: Kids aren't being taught anything during Staff Collaboration.

Then again, as you hear it from some people, kids might learn more away from schools as they do in school nowadays.

11 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

Then again, as you hear it from some people, kids might learn more away from schools as they do in school nowadays.

I think the only thing you learn in school now is what color iPod is cool, and which pants are the ones to buy. Because if they keep teaching things like "The Civil War was fought because Lincoln wanted to free the slaves" or if one has to listen to one more anti-Bush rant while sitting in class...

Well, you get the point.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

Actually, that line re Lincoln would be regarded as unPC. Liberal history revisionism emphasized the quote where he said that he would free or not free slaves, whichever would save the union. They emphasize that it was the grassroots abolitionist movement that forced everybody's hand, and the fact that slaves were escaping in droves and starting to rebel. It's a bit oversimplified, but then not quite as mindless as the conservative claim that it was all about states' rights.

Fred - I believe the time is 180 days. They break it up more during the year, but I'm pretty sure that was the number when I was a kid. Summer vacations are shorter now.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

Summer vacations are shorter now.

But you get a couple of weeks off in the school year now...

 
At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

too much time in school...

too much emphasis on BLIND OBEDIENCE, not enough understanding and communication, not to mention advancement and learning

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The good education is there if you want it - and it all depends on what you put in to it. My kid got a better education at NHUHSD than most people get in college.

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is NHUHSD? My pet Lab has a better education than is provided in ANY social "science" department of a Calif college.

 
At 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Northern Humboldt Union High School District

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there another high school in the district than McKinleyville?

 
At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't Arcata High and Mack High both in the Northern Humboldt Union High School District? There might be a charter school as well.

Orange Elmo

 
At 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home