Tuesday, June 12, 2007

King Heraldo?

I suppose I should appoint Humboldt Herald King of the Humboldt Bloggers now that he got highlighted, all by his little lonesome, in James Faulk's Bully Pulpit column today. I'm not sure I can, though, as I already gave Eric Kirk that honor earlier this year, didn't I?

I'll leave it up to Eric. When he gets back from his camping trip he can pass the crown to Herald, should he choose to do so. If not, Herald will just have to wait until next year.

Just thought I'd mention that since I didn't have anything else to write about this morning.
********
Except I was thinking about this story. How awful. Not just having a mountain lion eat her cat, but right on her porch. It's getting dangerous in these woods.

Being the paranoid guy that I am, I do tend focus on bad things happening. Naturally, with more and more stories of mountain lion attacks in the news over the years, I'm wondering if such a thing might happen to me?

Luckily, I don't work much out by wooded areas, except for one place. That place is on Herrick Avenue, over on Pine Hill in Eureka. It's got a kind of wild area outside the back yard overlooking Elk River where deer tend to frequent. I go out the back gate to dump grass there.

I've been thinking lately it wouldn't be too far fetched that a mountain lion might show up there. Never thought about it for years but now every time I go out there I make sure and take a good look around before opening the gate and leaving the yard. Then, once I'm done dumping the grass, I hurry back into the yard.

Haven't seen a mountain lion yet but it could just be a matter of time.

18 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Heraldo Riviera said...

It's my spectacular singing voice. Wins 'em over every time.

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please dont worry about big cats. They live here.
Listen to Stephen Colbert- BEARS! thats what ya gotta be 'afraid' of! Them, and all those other terr-ist loving liberal animals! And books! And facts!
Stay afraid! DONT worry about climate change or the constitution! Just stay afraid and daddyShrub will keep you safe!

signed,
Patriot Act Enforcement Agency

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"DONT worry about climate change".

Don't worry. I don't.

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're still King in my book, Fred. Don't let the pretenders to the throne fool you.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So a blog getting mentioned by a newspaper columnist qualifies as the pinnacle of success? Not, like, you know, having a lot of readers? I guess we know who is wagging who.

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take Heraldo and Eric V Kirk with you to the woods. The one that gets eaten by the mountain lion is king.(I'm rooting for Heraldo).

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

11:16 - omg - lol.

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, you're more likely to step on a hive of yellow jackets. Is this really what you think about? Are you concerned a mountain lion will attack you while working in your mother-in-laws yard? Why don't you get an air horn? Works every time.

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a heads up - the North Coast Post is allowing anonymous comments for the moment - as a "social experiment."

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bananas are much more likely to kill
you than a Mountain Lion - statistics-wise.
(Or drunks drivers, meth-heads, fireworks, etc.)
Yes- many more dangerous things out there than big cats. They only get aggressive around their kids, or around food when they are hungry.-Wait!
That describes me too!

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, just because you think the animals are watching you doesn't mean that they aren't.

Wrapping oneself in foil usually helps, I have never heard of a foil wrapped person ("statistics wise") being harmed by a mountain lions, drunk drivers, meth-heads, fireworks or even the dreaded etc.s.

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not going to happen. After one lick, a mountain lion would drop Fred in an instant. No animal would eat anything that bitter and nasty or risk contracting mental illness.

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure I agree, I hear Tasmanian Devils will eat most anything.

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and the cat was a disabled cat at that....
What's the world coming to...

 
At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred don't pass out the praise so quickly. Those two are always sticking up for each. I'll bet their butt buddies and that's why they srick up.

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

12:11, what is your infatuation with buttocks?

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad he's not more interested in spelling and grammar than in "butts."

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't care about spelling or you wouldn't spell Mark(h-e-r-a-l-d-o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home