Sunday, August 05, 2007

Local Gal Heads To American Idol

Looks like a Mckinleyville girl, Brandy Rose, is going to take a shot at becoming a contestant on the American Idol T.V. show. Best of luck to her.

However, looking at the comments on the Times- Standard web site, some say she has ads on her Myspace page "supporting drug dealing". I guess I could see how some might get that impression but, according to the ad, the stuff they're selling is legal. Not the most wholesome appearing ad, though.

One wonders if something like that could come back to haunt her should she actually be one of the ones who gets picked after the first auditions? There's been other Idol contestants booted from the show for non- wholesome activities in their past.

Brandy also has her own web page where you can hear her sing.
**********
I wonder what that "legal pot" that those budhookup.com folks are selling is? Might it be the same stuff I bought through one of the old underground newspapers when I was a kid?

When I lived in Southern California, I used to buy papers like the L.A. Free Press, the Berkeley Barb and others fairly often. These ads started showing up selling "legal grass". It was much cheaper than the illegal stuff so, out of curiosity, I ended up buying some.

Not sure if I imagined it, or if I actually got a little stoned on it. Kinda looked like pot, though.

I wondered what the heck that stuff was. I finally figured it out.

I used to stash my "legal" pot under a flower pot at the next door neighbor's house. One day I went to go get it and the bag had been pulled out from under the pot and ripped to shreds. There were cat footprints in the dirt around it. A cat had obviously found the stuff of interest.

Catnip, perhaps?

I went over to the pet section of the local Alpha Beta supermarket to see if they had any bulk catnip. They had a small bag of the stuff. That's exactly what it was. I ended up buying it from the store from then on.

Not sure if it really got me stoned, like I said earlier, or if I just imagined it. Nonetheless, I liked the taste of it. When I moved up here in '73 and started rolling my own cigarettes, I continued buying catnip and mixing it with tobacco just for the taste.

I don't recall when I gave up on the catnip habit.


12 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Catnip, Fred? So funny!

Good luck to Brandi.

 
At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would ads that MySpace puts on her MySpace page come back to bite her?

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Greg said...

This calls for italics.

catnip?

Remember Ted Mack's Amateur Hour? The great-granddaddy of American Idol.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Carol said...

Remember The Gong Show?

 
At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bughookup.com is a link another MySpace user left in her blog comments.

sexbetweencowsandpigs.com

Uh oh, look, Fred is promoting interspecies procreation. That will come back to haunt him.

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably was catnip.

Do you remember Kinickinick? It was described as a natural, Native American smoke - not tobacco, not marijuana - but instead something made of the bark of certain trees. Very Natural. A head-shop in Arcata used to sell that stuff back in around 1967. It wouldn't get you exactly high, but it could cause a car wreck. And I should know!

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes ad content is determined by the nature of the posts, so if her MySpace mentioned HUMBOLDT, perhaps...

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"Do you remember Kinickinick".

aka indian tobacco. I never saw any in real life but saw it in a book on wild edible plants.

As an aside, when I was in high school we had a guest speaker in what I believe was my sociology class. He was an Ojibway(sic?) Sioux indian and spoke to us about some land in Canada his tribe owned. They lived just like the old days there, so he said- bows and arrows and such.

He said they had some kind of stuff they smoked that was made from various herbs and other wild plants. He was asked if the effects were like pot and he said it wasn't. "It's not the same. It's just different...". he said.

That's all we got out of him on that.

 
At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

catnip? Tastes good, sure, but then ya get the munchies for tuna and kibble!

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Hmmm...tuna and kibble. They used to be my favorites back then. Never made the connection before now. Thanks for the heads up.

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dang Nipheads!

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Brandy Rose. I do not know about the ad mentioned in this article, but I would like to assure everyone that any kind of drug dealing (legal or illegal) of any kind does not in any way apply to me. Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home