Saturday, September 01, 2007

Pet Idol 2007

Just noticed this online poll on the Times- Standard web site. You can vote for your favorite pet. Give it a try.
********
Do they even mention the poll in the T-S hard copy? I don't know since, once again, they skipped delivering the paper to my house. This is getting to be a regular thing having missed my house four or five times out of the last month or so.

Not too much of a bother except I like the T-S for reading with breakfast since there's generally more to read there than in the Eureka Reporter. I can also check the online version of the T-S but some stories often aren't included.

I've pretty much made up my mind that when my subscription to the T-S expires, I'll likely subscribe to the online version if only because it's quite a bit cheaper at $39 a year. Won't have to worry about missed deliveries or having to take the papers to the recycling center, either.

Still, there's something to be said about hard copy. What if the power goes out or the computer goes on the fritz?
********
Speaking of e- versions of reading material, the only magazine I have a paid subscription to has announced they're offering an e- version.

Kind of strange that Liberty magazine would be doing that as they don't even offer a way to subscribe to their magazine online. They have an 800 number listed to call and subscribe and list a snail mail address but no online credit card or PayPal option.

Strange again is there's no mention of the e- version on their web site's subscription info page, at least last I looked.

I think you only save around $5.00 by subscribing electronically. I don't know if I want to go for that, or not. The only time I really read the magazine is when I'm down at UCSF Medical Center and, oddly enough, I don't have internet access in the waiting room of the Oncology Department so I'd need the hard copy.

Besides, they're offering it online as a .pdf file and I HATE dealing with .pdf files.


8 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I like having a real newspaper to read. That way you can read the cartoons and the daily horoscope.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I kinda do too, the one exception being that I usually read my newspapers on the floor in the living room by the window. I do my best to use natural sunlight to read and sometimes it's hard to read if the light isn't good.

If I read stuff online, it's naturally lit up by the computer so I don't have problems reading.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Update: I spoke too soon. When I went out to load up my truck, the Times- Standard was on the stairs by the sidewalk. Late, but not missed, delivery today.

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures of the pets in the past round were so small it was hard to make any kind of judgement.

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I subscribe to the T-S Tuesday through Sunday for $19.95. Signed up with a person that I have seen at several locations in Eureka and McKinleyville. Buy the paper on Monday if they don't deliver it. About half the time I get Monday too.

Have to let your subscription expire and call and say you are cancelling and then can sign up for the $19.95 deal.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I usually read my newspapers on the floor in the living room by the window. I do my best to use natural sunlight to read and sometimes it's hard to read if the light isn't good.



Fred, I use to have to open the curtain to read the paper. Then I got glasses. I went from not wearing glasses to wearing bifocals. Maybe you need some reading glasses?

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'm sure I do need reading glasses. It's becoming near impossible to read fine print.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I hear you. Glasses will make a difference. Sigh. We are just at that age, Fred! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home