Sunday, March 09, 2008

Rate Your Cop?

I hesitate to bring this up here, but I will anyway. After all, I can't figure out just how this site works, and I registered with them.

Ratemycop.com is supposedly an index of police agencies and officers nationwide that rates individual officers on three things: Authority, fairness and satisfaction. Not sure just what any of those, other than fairness consists of, but that's what they're rated on.

What I can't figure out is how they get the names and how ratings are submitted. Even after registering with them, I can't find any links for input. Maybe site owners are the ones that add the names and the ratings? I don't know.

They do have most of our local police departments, though. They even include Blue Lake. But, if you click on the Blue Lake P.D. link, you just get a message that there are no officers listed for Blue Lake.

The potential for abuse is high with this site. I can just imagine what could happen if the anti- cop brigades from say, Heraldo's blog, were able to have input. But, since I can't see any way to submit names or grades, there's probably no real threat there.

If anyone can figure out how this site works, please let me know. Thanks to Radley Balko, over at The Agitator blog, for the heads up on this site.

1 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Myself, I like this new trend of being able to get information about those around you.

http://www.ratemycoworkers.com/ and http://www.rottenneighbor.com/ are two other good sites that let you rate those that you deal with on a daily basis.

The VAST majority of police officers are good people who sacrifice a lot for their profession and for their communities. I don't think that a site like this takes away from that, matter of fact, I feel that it gives many of them the recognition they deserve and gives the departments another tool they can use to gauge public opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home