Monday, March 24, 2008

WiFi Hazardous To Health?

I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of health concerns over wireless networks. With all the health scares circulating about nearly everything else, I would have thought the radio waves from wifi networks would have come to the forefront in the discussion a bit earlier on.

So, at least one California city has turned down a free wifi due to the health concerns of a few. Perhaps the City of Eureka could do the same? Only problem with that is- if it goes the route so many other things do nowadays- someone will start trying to shut down the expansion of private wifi networks for the same reasons.

And, no, I'm not particularly worried about wifi radio waves affecting my health. Maybe sitting at this computer hour after hour should be a concern, but I'm not all that worried about radio waves.

6 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me neither. There was a great outcry against electrical waves from high-voltage lines. The hubbub lasted for years. The Atlantic or the New Yorker ran a huge article about the controversy. Eventually, research showed there never had been any health problems associated with those electrical emanations.

More recently, people in the Media, desperate for scary stories to augment the ones coming out of Washington, D.C., told us that cell phones would cause brain cancer. Once again, after lots of tears and teeth-gnashing, no evidence has been offered to support that theory.

Did you know that we are constantly being bombarded with radio waves, both AM and FM. And that doesn't even count the naturally-occuring gamma waves and suchlike invisible sneakers.

Based on what I've seen, I'll bet Wi-Fi won't hurt us at all.

My prediction: We'll have fewer ants in our homes in the future.

But what do I know?

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Ernie Branscomb said...

Yeah, no cancer threat. I heard it only causes baldness and impotence..... Hey wait a minute...

 
At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally, a foolproof way to kill Charles Douglas. That kid never gets off his laptop.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Someone sent me a personal message thru this comments page saying he could find an e-mail link for me. You can find my e-mail link in the upper left corner of my blog profile. The link for that is the upper left corner of this blog.

I don't believe I can respond privately to comments. I just get an e-mail from this blog from "Anonymous". I don't think a response would go anywhere but maybe here.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"saying he could find an e-mail link for me.".

That's couldN'T find an e-mail link for me.

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tin foil hat. Shiny-side out. No problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home