Saturday, June 20, 2009

Can Campbell Win The Primary?

I've said before that Tom Campbell's probably my favorite of all the gubernatorial hopefuls in the next election, at least at this point. I'm not really committed to him as there are some things I'm very leery of- his reputation as being weak, at best, on gun rights being one.

Still, he seems like the best of the bunch to me, with Meg Whitman probably coming in second on my list. Don't know much about Steve Poizner, but I'll keep an open mind. As far as I'm concerned, none of the Democratic hopefuls are worth considering, as is often the case.

The San Jose Mercury News takes a look today at Tom Campbell's chances of coming out on top in the Republican primary. They seem a bit more optimistic of Campbell's chances than I am. I'm thinking same- sex marriage might end up being a big issue with the Republicans and Campbell's support of same- sex marriage will be turned on him with a vengeance by his opponents.

At least one Republican leaning libertarian I know says I'm wrong and that Republicans aren't focused on that issue. Well, maybe. I'm just saying with the three having similar stances on most issues, they're going to have to come up with something to differentiate themselves and same- sex marriage will be the issue. Then again, maybe gun rights? Time will tell.

The Mercury News article does point out something I've noticed: That Whitman and Poizner seem to be ignoring Campbell (as a way of making him seem irrelevant, imo) and limiting any attacks to each other. That's happened before and brought about some surprise victories for underdogs.

I'll be keeping an eye on these three with an open mind but, for some reason, I can't help thinking I'll end up voting for whoever the lame Libertarian Party candidate for governor ends up being.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Mr. Nice said...

Why don't you run for governor, Fred? I'd vote for you in the primary.

Seriously, I like Campbell better than the others too. I do think his votes on gun control are going to end up reducing his chances. If there is anything most Republican voters care about, it is these stupid waiting periods for purchasing firearms. For me, this matters more than whatever their stance on immigration, same-sex marriage, or abortion is.

Moonbeam is going to win in 2010 though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home