Sunday, August 30, 2009

Facebook: How Weird

I finally started one of those Facebook pages for myself. Didn't really intend to, at first, but had to in order to try and find out about somebody. Sure is puzzling how that friend thing works. Right off the bat there were two people that wanted to be my friends and, yes, they were people I was familiar with.

Then, as I added two people to my friend list, all sorts of other people I knew started showing up on the list of recommended friends, many of whom I know. Took me a while to figure out how they do it. I'm still not really sure but I'm guessing they take data like who your other friends have for friends and your location and such. Weird how that works. Also amazing how many people I know have Facebook pages.

The reason I went there in the first place was to see if there was any info on Rogier van Bakel. He's the guy who does the Nobody's Business blog. He hasn't posted in almost a month and I'm not alone in wondering if something happened to him. I ran a search on his name and found he had something on Facebook so I had to register to see what he had there.

He has it set so only certain people can access his info so I asked to be added to his friend list. No response yet, but that doesn't mean anything. Still, I'm thinking something happened to him, otherwise he would of posted notice on his blog or shut it down. After all, he wouldn't want to go around cluttering up cyberspace with a dead blog, would he?

Roger van Bakel, where are you?

7 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Well, I guess Rogier van Bakel is still alive. I notice he made a comment on Radley Balko's Facebook page on August 24. Maybe he just got burned out on his blog?

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Rogier said...

Burned out isn't far from the truth. I'm sorry for leaving you and other readers hanging. It wasn't planned, one day of no new posts bled into another. I kinda took the month off I guess, because I was being pulled in too many directions, and started having doubts about the usefulness of four and a half years of almost-daily blogging. Blogging seems like pissing in the wind sometimes. There there are others who do it very well and incessantly (note to concerned urologists: blogging, not peeing) and who have managed to integrate it fully into their day jobs, so I've been feeling less "needed," I suppose. Combine that with a boatload of photography work (which is how I make a living and feed my kids) and you'll see why the writing muscles were just too sore and too overused. I don't quite know what the blogging future holds for me. It'll take me a while to figure it out. Feel free to comment on if and how I ought to continue...the muse and the belly fire most likely aren't gone forever.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Guess who else mines data from the social sites: Big Brother.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Guess who else mines data from the social sites: Big Brother.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Carol said...

There is no privacy on f.b., but I enjoy chatting with old friends. It is a social network.

http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2009/08/25/when-the-internet-breaks-who-ya-gonna-call/

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Seems to me they could probably get the same info on me as they could here, depending on what I write.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Fred,
Are you trying to compensate for failing to post previous comments by entering the same one twice?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home