Sunday, September 13, 2009

Rain: YESSS!!!

Isn't this a treat? For those of you from out of the area, we just had a real gully washer move through the area. Looks like there's more to come, according to doppler radar.

Earlier this morning it didn't look like much was going to happen up here but, by the time I turned off the computer just before 3pm, it looked like we might actually get a little rain. I still didn't think it would amount to much.

I guess I was wrong. After about a half hour of rain I checked the rain gauge. I thought I saw water up to the quarter inch level but that seemed a bit much and I wondered if the gauge might of already had some water in it. I haven't paid much attention to it over the summer.

Then a little while later I looked again and it looked like water was up to half an inch. I was wondering why the colored float wasn't showing. Was it stuck? Yep. I went out to the rain gauge and there was, indeed, a half inch of water in the gauge. The float was stuck. Shaking the gauge brought the float to the surface.

As I write this the gauge shows that about 3/4" of rain fell in about an hour. Not bad. Sorry for Connie, though. I told her it probably wouldn't rain much, if at all, earlier on. She took me at my word and left her car window open. She didn't realize it was raining so much, being across the street, and only closed the window after the driver's seat of her car was soaked. Bummer.

Love that rain, though.

5 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Carol said...

The first rain in a long while. Be careful driving. The roads can be slick.

 
At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing that nice post. The heavy rain caught me by surprise, too.

I've been enjoying it. I watered my whole yard yesterday and the day before, so this cloudburst will make my lawns and plants doubly happy.

Deep watering of lawns, as you may know, is best. ;-)

I always measure every really heavy rain storm against the ones that used to go on for days without a pause back in the days of my youth.

With all the attic insulation and double-paned windows in our houses these days, the rain doesn't make quite the rumbling roar that it used to.

That's why I always spend some time on my back porch, where the corregated plastic roofing makes a satisfying racket with each and every falling raindrop.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

My rain gauge shows just a hair over an inch of rain fell yesterday. Nice start to our rainy season, if that's what it is.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger prof said...

Nice weather.....for ducks!

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

QUACK!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home