Saturday, September 05, 2009

SR P-D Site Hacked?

Can't say for sure but it seems someone or something is messing with the Santa Rosa Press- Democrat web site. I've been there twice this morning and each time, after a minute or so on the site, my browser minimizes and I get some pop up that says my computer is infected with a virus and it tries to get me to download something to supposedly fix it. It took some doing to get away from that thing. It hasn't happened anywhere but that site.

I checked my ZoneAlarms anti- virus log and it doesn't show any alerts. There's probably a name for this sort of skullduggery but they're basically trying to get you to install their own spyware or malware, whoever is doing this. Head on over to the Press- Democrat web site and see if you get the same alerts. Don't download their supposed fix, though.

7 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same thing happened to me and I wasn't on the PD site. Maybe it's Suddenlink?

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Except I'm not with Suddenlink.

It could just be some roving robot type thing but it hit me first when I was on the P-D site for about a minute. Then I left and came back about 3 minutes later and it happened again.

I suppose if others went to the P-D site and nothing happened, then it must be something picking out random folks on the net.

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone has obviously reported you to the White House. Don't look behind your toaster!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger AJ said...

Two likely causes:

1) A pop-up advertisement on the P-D website.

2) Your PC is infected with adware and the adware is popping up advertisements that don't originate from the P-D website.

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'd guess a pop up ad from the P-D web site, then, since it didn't happen before I went there and hasn't happened since.

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Mr. Nice said...

FYI you can see if a website is infected by googling it. If google says "this site may be harmful to your computer," then it is infected.

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had some complaints about this and verified PD site was definitely serving malicious code that tried to infect visitors’ PCs. I doubt PD would infect their readers intentionally, so they were likely hacked. Hopefully, PD fesses up and warns readers about this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home