Friday, July 08, 2011

Show And Tell: My First .pdf File

I've been playing around with the Open Office program the computer guys put on this system after they reformatted it. I decided to just use it instead of reinstalling MS Word. Seemed like a simpler solution.

I noticed it lets you convert documents to .pdf (Portable Document Format) files. Not sure if the latest version of MS Word lets you do that but I thought I'd give it a try, having never created a .pdf file before.

I actually hate it when links send me to .pdf files, but I can see where it might be useful. So here's a copy, with some additional commentary, of the latest (and first) fax I sent with that lame Microsoft Fax Services program I recently installed.

On this computer- since it has Open Office(?)- .pdf files are opened with a Fox It Reader. If you don't have that, Acrobat Reader will probably open it. Let me know if the link and file works. It works for me.

And be sure and drop a line to Mike Thompson in support of the bill I mention. We need him to become a co- sponsor.

Addendum: Hmmm??? Link doesn't work with blogspot, but worked when I just dropped it into my browser. Have to figure it out.

Yep. Still works fine if I copy and paste this link ( www.fredtyg.freeservers.com/Thompson Fax.pdf ) in my browser, but won't work if I click on the link I inserted in the post. Any idea why?

Addendum #2: Let's see if the commenter's link works pasted here: Link

Addendum #3: Ok. Mike noticed something I didn't. Let's see if this link works. Yep, it does. Not sure how I missed that. I've been pulling what's left of my hair out trying to figure out why one works and the other doesn't. I'll have to try it again. Maybe tomorrow.

Let's try it again: Here's the link.

10 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It comes in only as Thompson Fax.pdf and maybe that is the reason but then some links just don't seem to work. Nothing happens unless I paste it into a browser.

My MSWord lets me convert to pdf when I ask for printout.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Maybe I need to find another blogspot blog with a pdf link and see how they put their link together?

I never really bothered looking at MS Word.

I see this Open Office program seems to have a way to do web pages. I think I'll try it next time I update the Humboldt Taxpayers League web page.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Posted the link on my Facebook page and it doesn't work there, either. Hmmm???

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Let's see if the link works here: PDF Link

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Nope. Only works if I paste it into the browser.

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about this?

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I don't get it. That works for me, but the link looks like the same one I'm using.

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous grackle said...

It's the syntax, as the computer people say; it must be exact. I think you had a stray pair of quote marks somewhere, maybe?
(I was anonymous above)

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was the first anonymous post and not grackle. The link didn't work for me but maybe grackle could be right about how it was posted. Maybe there should be no space in the link which there was.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

The first link was just pasted into the blogger's automated link window. It's supposed to add whatever needed to be added. I guess it doesn't do it for pdf files?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home