Saturday, January 28, 2012

School Dress Codes

This story that Radley Balko linked to reminded me of school dress codes. I hated dress codes when I went to high school.

Both Mission Viejo and University High School, that I attended for a while, had dress codes. As I recall their dress code was much the same as the one in the story: Guy's hair couldn't touch the collar or ears, and no beards or mustaches. Also, girls couldn't wear pants except on a Pant's Day that as held two or three times a year.

I hated it, being a punk yippie. Eventually, some of us managed to get around the hair requirements by buying "short hair wigs". Those were pretty much just normal wigs except the hair on them met the dress code requirements. You'd put the wig on and stuff your longer hair under the wig. Looked kind of stupid but served its purpose. Once you left campus, the wig came off.

I managed to get away from the dress code entirely after I weaseled my way into continuation school. Hillview High School didn't have a dress code.

I don't believe Eureka High School has a dress code. I recall working near there one day and a group of girls were hanging out nearby. For some reason they reminded me of dress codes and I mentioned it to them. They seemed pretty unhappy even at the suggestion of one.

Anybody know of any schools in the area that still have dress codes?

2 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd venture to say almost every school in America has a dress code. Here is the EHS code:

Eureka High School requires that students dress in a manner that does not detract from the educational environment nor pose a health and safety hazard to the student or others. Dressing modestly at school is okay. Outerwear must cover underwear. Clothing with messages about drugs, tobacco, alcohol, sexual innuendos, or gang-association are not allowed at school or at any school-related event. Appropriate shoes must be worn at all times.

The specifics of inappropriate dress are too many to list here. Please use your common sense. Administrators will use their discretion to decide about student dress in individual cases when necessary.

If there is a problem, usually the school will simply ask for the student and parent’s cooperation in changing to appropriate attire. Repeated disregard for the expected standards may result in more serious disciplinary consequences. California courts support reasonable, clear, school regulations governing the appearance of students (CAC, Title 5, 302).

Source (PDF).

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yep. I'm sure most schools have at the very least a catch- all one like Eureka High Schools'.

Heck,when I was in high school one like EHS' would have probably gone after those of us with longer hair. We were just beginning to emerge from the crew cut age back then so longer hair would probably have been considered disruptive or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home