Saturday, February 25, 2012

Pizza Box Recycling?

I'd heard some time ago that used pizza boxes aren't recyclable because just one piece of cheese can ruin them. I'd also heard that HSU stopped accepting pizza boxes in their recycling program because of that. I wondered if that still held true?

According to this article it is. It goes on to explain that food and oil on one box can ruin the whole lot. So, don't toss your used pizza boxes in the recycling bin. They should go in the trash.

Also, I noticed in someone's recycling bin the other day a bunch of paper towels and napkins. That's a no- no, too, as the article explains.

As an aside, went to dump some grass in my green waste bin yesterday only to find someone had thrown a pizza box into it. It felt like at least part of a pizza was still in it (I didn't bother to look). A bit annoying, but I suppose I'd rather have them throw it in the bin than on the sidewalk. Now it's in the trash.

7 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Eric Kirk said...

I did not know that! I figured that napkins were a no-no, but cheese on cardboard ruins it? Okay then.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

It's hard for me to believe one box with just a little cheese can ruin the whole batch, but that's what they say.

Same with plastics, I've read. You mix one wrong type container in with the rest and the whole bunch is ruined.

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Oh, and don't forget that the boxes you get your pizzas and other frozen food in aren't recyclable, at least last I heard.

In fact, anything designed to store cold or frozen food is known as "cold pack" and can't be recycled. That includes the 12 and 18 pack boxes beer and soft drinks come in. I see those in recycling bins all the time and used to toss them in there myself until I learned otherwise.

It can be confusing as I noticed on the box of one of our last frozen pizzas it said "Recyclable", but as far as I know they're not, at least up here.

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Henchman Of Justice" says,

Burn, baby, burnnnnnnnnn. Anyhow, Papa Murphy's don't do boxes...

HOJ

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I don't believe you can recycle the Papa Murphy's flats, either.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger pkd said...

For materials with no natural markets for their reuse, the benefits of recycling are less than its costs – and, therefore, government efforts to promote such recycling waste resources.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

That is worth keeping in mind. Some materials are best just taken to the dump.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home