Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Bohn "Wins" LOWV Candidate Forum

I'd wrote elsewhere I was leaning towards supporting 1st district supervisor candidate Rex Bohn- this despite not living in the district thus not able to vote for him. I've run into him a few times before and always enjoyed it. Still, I'd like to think I have an open mind and didn't write off either of the other candidates. I wanted to hear what they had to say.

I got my chance last night when I stumbled onto the League Of Women Voter's forum for the 1st District Supervisor candidates on TV. I missed about the first 20 minutes.

While the candidates didn't seem to differ much on issues, Bohn seemed to be the most up to speed on what was going on. All of the candidates seemed unused to the camera and stumbled to some degree or another while trying to make their points. Bohn stumbled a bit less than the others from my view.

I'd give Annette DeModena second place. She seemed familiar with most issues and handled herself fairly well. I'll admit to not thinking much of her answer when asked about WalMart coming to Eureka (not really an issue for the supervisors in the first place).

She insisted on criticizing WalMart's business practices and such. I suspect that was to appease the Humboldt Herald crowd. Didn't work for me, although towards the end she just suggested shopping at locally owned businesses. That's fine. I preferred Bohn's "WalMart is coming. If you don't like WalMart, don't shop there", or however he said it.

Cheryl Seidner seems like a fine gal, but not very up to speed on the issues. She admitted that at least a couple times. She might be more in control of things once she got used to a seat on the Board but she seemed least in control last night and the least sure of what to say.

All in all, not a whole lot of specifics on the issues with a lot of generic answers by all- much, if not most of the answers generally in agreement with each other. I'll give Rex Bohn the win for the night and he'd get my vote if I lived in the district.

5 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Henchman Of Justice" says,

Humboldt Voters enjoy vagueness and non-specifics - hence, the reason why the county can't seem to get out of its funk.

Voters in Eureka will elect Bohn hands-down. He will work hard and everyone who knows anything should know that.

His answer to consumption was appropriate - if ya don't want to buy the product, you don't have to shop at the business.

In the future though, don't come back later and complain when government forces consumers to purchase products that can only be sold at Wal-Mart.

HOJ

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Julie Timmons said...

So Rex gets a ringing endorsement from someone so out of it that in 2012 he still refers to women as "gals". That'll help.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

And it says something about you that you have a problem with the word "gal". Little Ms. Political Correctness, I take it?

 
At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Henchman Of Justice" says,

Julie Timmons,

is "bitch" a politcally correct term in today's social environment? The younger generations seem to think so. In fact, the great divide between young and old and how the two extreme generations speak and refer to women (AND MEN) is night and day different.....have you ever listened to rap music? How about a spectator at a childs sporting event? Yep, something says the english language is variable....as some stuff said verbally is mind blowing. Anyhow, this "guy" likes "gals", Thanks for the reminder.

HOJ

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Eric Kirk said...

Rex will come in first. The only question is whether Annette can help Cheryl into a runoff. She got a late start, but if she gets a do-over, she might make some traction. On the other hand, I have not seen one of her signs in Ferndale.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home