Saturday, October 06, 2012

My Treatise On Two Party Dominance

I've been thinking a lot lately about why the two main parties dominate American politics. With one poll or another saying a lot of people would prefer a third choice, why do they always dismiss the other choices they already have? Why are people so reluctant to abandon the two major parties?

I know a lot will say it's because of money. Money has corrupted politics and blah, blah, blah. There's certainly some truth to that, but I think money comes more into the equation after other factors. I'm wondering if those other factors are psychological ones that most human beings share?

My list, so far comes down to four factors. I'll only elaborate on the first one now as I don't want to prematurely release my treatise, although the way it's going maybe I never will!

To start, we have #1. Simplicity: Most people have a simple view of most things in both life and politics and prefer to keep it that way. They see things as Good or Bad. Us vs. Them. Black vs. White, Red vs. Blue and so forth. They like their politics nice and simple and limiting it to Republicans vs. Democrats accommodates that. I'll go so far as to say it makes them feel safer.

The others I've come up with are, #2- Being Part of a Crowd, #3- Fraternalism and #4- Pragmatism. Fraternalism and Pragmatism aren't so much the reason people are drawn to the 2 parties, but reasons that system got so strong and most feel uncomfortable abandoning it.

I suppose I could add Money as #5. Fair enough, but there's plenty of evidence money doesn't always win elections. Still, it does allow the two parties to maintain dominance.

I'll elaborate on factors 2 through 4 or 5 should I ever come close to finishing my treatise. I'm wondering if any of you out there have any observations or suggestions regarding the dominance of our two parties as I've alluded to here? If so, feel free to leave a comment.

3 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Control. Plain and simple. If a majority of viewpoints were represented, corporations would lose their power. When a corporation is found guilty of a major crime in America, its corporate charter would be revoked, because corporations are supposed to be operating in the public interest. The company would be liquidated. That's how it works in free societies. It's unthinkable in America. Corporations buy politicians and corporations control the messages we hear. If America had true public representation, corporations would be held to the letter of the law. The two party system is all about maintaining power where it truly sits -- with corporations.

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Thanks, but that's not really what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the human factors in the rise and dominance of the two party system.

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fear that the bad guys will win. If you vote for a sure "loser"(third party) the horrible left/right guys will win and your life is going to be worse. It's kind of like being in jail, you hate big bubba, he's fat, smelly and disgusting, but he protects you so he's your "friend" and your very careful not to lose him. Another paralleled would be likened to the man who marries a sugar momma. He doesn't love his wife and is a cheat at every chance, but he doesn't dare let his money supply go otherwise he would have to get a job digging ditches, so he buys gifts, pampers, and coddles his wife to keep from losing her. Did you seem the comment about the donor who gave $1M to Obama, then stated "he must have spent it all on weed." He doesn't seem to really care for Obama, but he hates the "other" guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home