Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bogus Cell Phone Driving Statistics?

I can't help but be skeptical of the statistics being thrown out in this Santa Rosa Press- Democrat article. Referring to a recent crackdown on cellphone use while driving, the Petaluma Police Department is claiming their efforts have been a success. They're saying "...at the start of the effort, 40 percent of drivers spotted by police were violating the law. By the end of the month, only 4.2 percent were,...".

I don't buy it. As I wrote in a comment to that story, that doesn't jive with my own observations. Sure, I live in Eureka, but we supposedly had an enforcement effort in that regard here, too.

Interesting that they thought 40 percent of drivers were spotted driving while chatting before the enforcement began. That's even higher than my own non- scientific study taken years ago that showed about a third of drivers talking on cellphones while driving. Then they're saying it dropped down to 4.2%??? I don't think so.

I've noticed even more people driving around talking on cellphones lately than usual. I think they're fluffing their statistics somehow.

3 Comments:

At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that it seems unlikely that so many people actually changed their habits and no longer talk on their cell phones while driving. But I wouldn't be surprised if lots of people did hear about the enforcement effort and out their phone down whenever they spotted a cop.

 
At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had to be a typo. I drive 101 all day and it seems like half the idio oops-I mean fine citizens have a phone plastered to their ear. Or they are actually texting. At 70 mph.
Insane.

 
At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Henchman Of Justice" says

It is an enforcement issue - government tards like to make rules it can't enforce or won't enforce.

The intention is to take away personal responsibility.

When will it be illegal for a guy to receive a feminine blow-job while driving. Afterall, blow-jobs are within the personal property of the motorist and it would be awkward for cops to be looking into and downward when "profiling" as driving does not render a viewpoint for the cop to be able to review from afar.

Beverages, food, entertainment, etc... so many things that can cause a driver to do many things.

People are easy sheeple because they greed for consumptions.

HOJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home