Saturday, March 22, 2014

Skeeter Time

This is actually the first time I looked very closely this year but it seems mosquitoes are starting to breed. I could see one 5 gallon bucket maybe 8 feet outside our back door had a whole bunch of larvae. Upon closer inspection a bunch of the other containers with water had them, too. Those containers have been drained.

I recommend everyone do the same. Check all containers with water for mosquitoes. Probably best to just drain all standing water and nip the problem in the bud.

Addendum: Realizing some might be storing water for use this summer, that presents a problem for mosquito control. You might try these mosquito dunks. They're a natural toxin that kill water borne larvae. I don't know if they still have them but Pierson's used to carry them years ago.

3 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take the opposing viewpoint. I have bat boxes on my house and two dozen buckets of standing water in my backyard.

With all of you eco-warriors destroying Culex tarsalis (western diamondback mosquito) breeding ground, someone has to do something to keep bats and other insect-eating critters alive. You can't remove one piece of the food chain and not avoid a catastrophic cascade effect decimating higher life forms.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Mosquitoes will always be around, regardless of control efforts.

 
At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow breeding mosquitoes?I mean maybe if you have a fish pond or something but just breeding them to let them go are you crazy?
I noticed mosquitoes around my hill all year long just didn't get cold enough to kill them this year, its going to be a nasty summer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home