Monday, March 17, 2014

Year Old Seed Works

I was happy to see some zucchini seeds I had in the garage from last year sprouted. That saves me from buying new seed for them this year as I usually do. Don't we all? 

I know some seeds, onions for example, go bad real quick. I wasn't sure about squash and checking the viability list in Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening didn't help. Maybe I missed it, but the list didn't include squash. I should have just gone online as there are a number of different lists. Here's one so you can check to see if your seeds from last year- or even older- might still be good.

I tried broccoli seed earlier on. They sprouted, too, but I left them out overnight and the snails ate them.

4 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being that this is Humboldt and all, I feel it is my duty to note that Cannabis seeds can last 10 years or more, though the percentage of them that will germinate drops the farther out you go. But if properly stored, you can get over 90% germination even after 3-4 years.

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And perhaps you can do even better than that, with ideal storage conditions. I'm just reporting what I can confirm for certain.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

most seeds will last at least 5 years as long as they're stored in an airtight container out of the Sun. Just started sprouting seeds from my survival seed vault that I got for my Patriot supply.com. Pretty cool These are non GMO Organic heirloom seeds and you get 20 variety's for about $25 ship they come in airtight mylar bags in a sealed metal cylinder guaranteed to last up to 5 years pretty good price compared to buying locally if anybody is looking for good organic heirloom seeds and good organic freeze dried food you should check them out
THC

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Seems to me I've seen some of those survival seed deals claim they last for 10 years or longer. Some store them in some sort of intert gas. Of course, by the time you opened the container and needed to plant the seeds, you'd be out of luck if they were wrong.

I've kept mine in their original, opened package all stuffed into a box in my garage. No real care at all, which is why I wasn't sure if they'd still be good. Figured they might get all moldy or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home