Monday, May 16, 2016

The Left And The Draft

Antiwar dot com takes a look at varying views among The Left on the draft- proposals being made recently. Among them, to require women to register for the draft. How times have changed. Back during the Viet Nam War opposition to the draft seemed to rest exclusively with those from the left. Now there's no clear line as to who is for or against.

That suprises me to some extent. I would think those on The Left would see the military as utopian: You're fed, paid, clothed and housed by The State. I'm guessing most from the left realize that now, thus their seeming appreciation for those in the military, as opposed to the way it supposedly was back during Viet Nam.

As for me, I'm opposed to the draft overall, Not so much because of the libertarian dogma that the draft is equivalent to slavery, although I suppose it is. I just think a draft allows the powers- that- be to feel comfortable, and gives them more leeway, in attacking more countries because we have the manpower to do so. 

The opposite argument is used by others: When older Americans realize their kids could end up in a war, they may not be so quick to support that war. That certainly makes sense as Americans are generally immune when we attack other countries and don't resist such attacks unless we have a personal stake in the game.

But I don't know that a draft would discourage average Americans from their war like ways. They might well feel safer about it knowing they've got more people to throw into the fray. And with a draft they could bring them up on demand..

As for me, when I turned 18 I registered for the draft. The Viet Nam War was winding down back then but, had I been called, I would have gone. I was registered as 1Y, which as I recall was a student deferment. Shortly after I registered, the draft, for most intents and purposes, ended.

3 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Student Deferment was 2S. I was against the draft, too. My mind was changed by something Rep. Charles Rangel said years later, to the effect that a citizen draft is the best way to avoid illegal wars.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

As I wrote, I've heard that argument made before. It makes some sense, since Americans might be less likely to attack other countries if they thought their kids would be going. Still, I'm of the impression most of us think of wars as being violence over there that won't really affect us,or anyone we know.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Tom Sebourn said...

See who did and didn't serve.
http://www.awolbush.com/whoserved.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home