Saturday, June 11, 2016

Amazon Fire Tablet Review Update

I gave a somewhat glowing review of my then new Amazon Fire tablet earlier on. I'll have to change that one since it died on me while at UCSF a few days ago.

I was still delighted with it and enjoyed using it. Then, one morning when I was playing around with it, the screen just went black and I couldn't get it back. I thought maybe the battery died so put it on the charger for some time. Nope. That didn't help, although an image did show up of a battery just barely charged. No matter how long I charge that thing now I still only get that same battery image.

Now I'm going to contact Amazon for instructions on returning it for either a refund or replacement. Not sure which I'd prefer, although if I can get a replacement that stays working for more than a month, I suppose that will suffice.

Since this is similar to the problem I had with the old Trio ASX tablet my sister bought me, I wonder if power supply problems are what you deal with when you have a tablet? We'll see what Amazon says.

5 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear your new toy broke. Hopefully it's just the charger, make sure they also replace the charger.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

could be one of the chargers, but they work with our cell phones.

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

ACtually, good suggestion. As I wrote, our chargers seem to work fine with the phones, then I got to thinking and remembered we were suspicious of one of them as it didn't seem to charge my phone right.

So yesterday, I plugged the white plastic charger into the tablet for a couple hours. The black plastic one being the one we had doubts about.

After a couple hours I turned on the tablet and got the boot up images along with sound.

It said it was 100% charged last night so I unplugged it to see if it would hold the charge overnight. I haven't turned it on yet this morning.

Your suggestion worked, though. Thanks.

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it worked. Those connections on the end of any charger are notorious quitters. We used to share chargers, but no more. They're dedicated chargers now. Somehow, the grooves get wonky, even when all the gadgets are the same make & model.

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Kindle Fire seems to have two modes of shut-down. A push of the on/off button seems to put it into a 'sleep' mode, to come back on quickly. An extended push on the on/off button seems to put it into a shut-down mode, requiring holding the on/off button down for 16-20 sec. then the Amazon logo appears, followed by the Fire logo, then it returns to 'life.'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home