Thursday, December 08, 2016

Ahoy?

I read somewhere recently that after Alexander Bell invented the telephone someone came up with the question of what they should say when they answered it. Bell recommended "Ahoy". We know that never caught on.

I decided I'd take things back to yesteryear and use Bell's idea. Problem is, the wife usually answers the phone as it's usually for her anyway. That, and I never have the presence of mind to remember to answer the phone that way.

This morning was different. The phone rang and I broke tradition by volunteering to answer it. I answered it with "Ahoy", but no big deal. It was my sister and she didn't seem impressed, even after I explained to her why I answered that way. Oh well. It still seems like a fun thing to get started. So, when I call any of you here on the phone, you'd better answer with ahoy or you'll be fired from this blog.

Ahoy? 
 *********
As an aside, with the earthquake this morning I missed my chance at more phone skullduggery. I mentioned the earthquake on Facebook, which is why my sister called and I blew it.

I thought that one guy on the variety show years ago after a big quake made a good point when he pointed out, after quakes, they say not to use the phone unless it's an emergency as it ties up the phone lines so they're less available for real emergencies. That guy pointed out it seems everyone makes phone calls anyway to find out if everyone else is ok. 

He suggested after a big earthquake, answering the phone with "Help. I'm trapped"- , while making it sound like you're gasping for air, to make it sound like your house collapsed on you. That's what I should have done this morning, although I have a feeling SisMeliss wouldn't have gotten it.

8 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or you can answer the phone by saying "bueno."

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

after repeated annoying telemarketing calls and they keep calling after i say stop then i answer saying HOLA and they stop calling
i been known to say clearlake police , how can i help you or 911 what is your emergency
i have caller ID s those last 2 are to confuse friends

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

" you can answer the phone by saying "bueno."

Isn't the spanish equivalent, hola?

Don't try and fool me. I lived in Mexico as a kid.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I have to call the wife right now. I'll start out with AHOY!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger A patriot said...

'Bueno' es 'good' en Espanol, mientras 'hola' es 'hello' en Espanol.
This Spanish lesson brought to you by an Irish Humboldt resident.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Well then....AHOY!!!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Henchman Of Justice said...

Mi casa no ese su casa, pero hola y adios.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Porque? Somos amigos, verdad?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home