Friday, December 02, 2016

Redwood Family Practice Lives?

The Times- Standard reported today (I can't find that story now) that Eureka's Redwood Family Practice will be merging with Open Door Clinics and thus might stay open. Good news for those of us who know how hard it is to find medical care providers up here. 

It wasn't clear to me in the article what will go and what stays with the merge. I'm assuming Open Door accepts Obamacare insurance. I'm hoping that means Redwood Family Practice will begin accepting Obamacare, too. They currently bill my Obamacare insurance but aren't considered an in- network provider. I'll have to check further.

Good local news for a change, although I wonder how bringing Open Door to Redwood Family Practice will affect Redwood Family? When I was looking for a medical provider years ago, I drove into the parking lot of a Community Clinic, or some such, just a bit up the street from Redwood Family Practice. Driving into the parking lot I saw what I felt was some bum smoking a cigarette a bit away from the front door. I thought then this likely isn't some place I'd want to be going as- despite being a bum myself- it gave me the impression I get when I go to the Welfare Office. 

Going inside it seemed a nice, clean place but the nurse told me they weren't accepting new patients. Just as well and off I went to look elsewhere, eventually winding up at Redwood Family Practice. I hope this merge doesn't turn Redwood Family Practice into a bum depot.

3 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Open Door Community Health Center is one of the few places that accepts Covered California (ACA) policies, so the merger with Redwood Family Practice should mean that your policy is accepted and that their doctors are "in network". The big question is what happens to the ACA come January with the new Congress and President.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I just checked the Anthem/ Blue Cross web site to see if open Door network was in network but their search engine for stuff like that doesn't seem to be working. Thanks for the heads up.

I suppose I could just call Open Door on the phone, but then I'd have to actually talk to someone.

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be "leaves" Fred...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home