Monday, January 23, 2017

Running On Empty

Interesting table over at lewrockwell.com that might set your mind at ease, or not, when your Low Fuel warning light comes on in your car. It tells how far you can expect to drive after that light comes on.

I can expect to drive 35 to 80 miles in my Ford F-150. That's little comfort as it drives me nuts just having the light on to begin with. Plus, once I hit a quarter tank, the needle seems to drop very quickly toward empty. I'm guessing that has something to do with the shape of the gas tank?

The wife's Hyundai Elantra can expect 30 more miles after the light goes on. Again, little comfort there as I wouldn't be keeping track of the miles after the light goes on.


4 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

I've been on "E" for a week now. Not going to Costco for gas until the rain stops.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i was camping / hunting once and 35 miles from nearest gas station when the gauge went below empty . cant remember a light or not . threw in extra gas can in truck bed and headed down to station . made it and filled up with 19.8 gallons into my 18 gallon tank
had a 92 F-150 4x4
dont know how i got in more gas than what truck held

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous BGG said...

The lights are not plotting against you. It's just a friendly reminder to get fuel as soon as possible. It's not a contest to actually see how far you can go untill your stuck on the side of the road. If this anxiety continues try some black tape over the light or a pre 80's vehicle. I have a car that has and extremely accurate mileage count down to fumes and have cruzed into the pumps just short of embarrassment. Theses features are both a blessing and a curse and I am guilty of not practicing what I preach.

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When they put the fuel pump in the gas tank it made running out of gas not such a good idea. The fuel keeps the pump cooled. Running out makes them a lot more likely to fail then or the not too distant future. Fairly expensive repair.

D.W.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home