Saturday, October 22, 2005

Ominous Warnings From Freecycle?

I wasn't going to post anything today but something just piqued my interest:

I like Humboldt Freecycle, the Yahoo Group where people can offer or request things they want. Heck, I'd have to say the majority of the e-mail I get each day is from Freecycle but I don't mind as I often find the e-mails of interest for one reason or another.

This morning I've received two or three e-mails from different people on that list requesting free stuff for either themselves, or someone they know that's moving to Humboldt County. One has relatives moving here who can use a washer and dryer and any furniture someone wants to get rid of. Another is "relocating" here and was asking for... whatever, I can't remember. Doesn't matter what they wanted, though.

Is this a trend, or just something that's been going on for some time and I just noticed because of the Freecycle Group and its growing membership? I suspect the latter but I find it disturbing that people are moving here with nothing and, even before they get here are asking for people to fill their houses for them (begging from afar?). I suppose they'll have to wait to apply at the Social Services Office for relief cause they can't do that from outside the county?

Hey, I know it can be tough when you don't have much. I just wonder if people are moving up here cause Humboldt has a reputation for free this and that and wonder if the Freecycle Group helps foster that image? Well, we do have a reputation for free food and dope, as one commentator here pointed out a few days ago and, if Freecycle promotes that image at all, I suspect it's not by much as it only has a little over 1000 members. Oh, I suppose nobody, except maybe Plazoid, wants people moving to their county if they aren't at least somewhat self reliant.

I guess the bottom line is, the dependent are going to move somewhere, and sometimes it will be here. Not much to do about that but the long term political implications are bothersome to me, assuming all these dependent newcomers end up registering to vote. And never mind the cost to the county even if they don't vote. Oh well.

3 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If riding Greyhound has shown me anything, it's that every day, we gain, at least, one more "camper" and a couple more "needy people".

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee did you ever think it might be HSU students just starting out in life and moving here for school? I posted an ad for a scholarship student who is getting a full ride because she earned it, graduating top of her class in a poor community down south. She is coming here with nothing, but when she is done with school the kid is going to be a doctor specializing in neurology. I told her I would post for her and she is coming here on greyhound like of a few hundred other students living in the dorms. duh

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah it COULD be a famous-brain-surgeon-in-training,but it is MOSTLY people who want everything and anything, and many too lazy to come get it. If it's NOT good enough and they come to cherry pick like they are shopping, and so many poor and transient people do need 'stuff', but many are greedy really, asking for a Kuerig $200 coffee maker? a laptop computer..but ONLY a flat screen model... or boat, or complete decorations for a themed party ( and I mean everything they needed for a party you are not invited to)

so my experience is lower socioeconomics, or really creative and frugal types who don't mind a bit of elbow grease to clean it up..but a lot of flakes too..so i'd be careful on WHO is coming to your home..who you know nothing about. at least get a full name and a phone, and their home address..after all you are giving yours away to a total stranger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home