Saturday, March 04, 2006

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum

I'll have to say I have a hard time following the writing of our two "Peace Embassadors" from Humboldt County, Ellen Taylor and Mike Evenson. They've been sending in fairly regular commentaries to the Eureka Reporter on their experiences of late in Washington D.C.

If I'm reading them right, both of their last commentaries seem to have a common theme: Both political parties operate the same way and for the same reasons- to keep themselves in power. That's just my interpretation of this one by Ellen Taylor, and this one by Mike Evenson. Again, maybe I'm misreading what they're trying to say or just putting my own spin on it.

I find it refreshing, though, to find something other than the ordinary partisan loyalty that we see brought to the debate by writers on just about any issue nowadays. Frankly, I would have expected the two to join the others in blaming all the ills of man one either the Republicans or Democrats as Mike Thompson seems to do in Evenson's piece. Refreshing indeed. I'd like to see more of such commentary in the future.



8 Comments:

At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you title this post "Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum" but end it by calling their commentaries "refreshing" and saying that you would "like to see more of such commentary in the future"?

Are you flip-flopping, or do you just need to poo-poo people outside your political spectrum?

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Maybe I wrote it wrong, or you read it wrong. I'm just saying

I appreciate someone seeing it the way I do: That what is going on in D.C. is beyond anything resembling dealing with reason. It only deals with certain people keeping themselves in power.

That, of course, assumes I'm reading their commentary right. Understand?

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Rose said...

I can't take Ellen Taylor seriously given her impassioned defense of Salzman - if she wrote those herself, or if she didn't.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Good point, Rose. I forgot about that. Kinda shows she wants her bunch to stay in power as well.

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Such relief!! At least now we've heard two sides of the issue:o)

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Rose said...

It's sad, though. "R. Trent" Salzman uses many good people, appealing to their high ideals. It doesn't take much critical thinking to read past his propoganda; he uses the easy rhetoric, but there's no substance behind it.

Given that some of her pieces indicate that she analyzes issues, I wonder why she doesn't see through the BS in his case.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Anon.R.mous said...

Rose, they want to win any way possible. They believe if they don't, they will all be killed off by evil Republicans.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Boy, do I know what you are talkin' about!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home