Thursday, August 31, 2006

Gubernatorial Poll


Here's the latest poll numbers in the upcoming gubernatorial race. Quite honestly, I would have expected it to be a little closer between the Governator and Angelides by now. I suppose things might well change in the next five weeks, especially when the Undecideds decide.

I'd actually like to see Angelides stomped decisively. I don't think that will happen, though, if for no other reason than I'm used to being disappointed and figure this time around it will be no different.

Who will I be voting for? As I believe I've said before here, if it would have ended up being a race between Westly and Schwarzenegger, I could have felt comfortable voting for Art Olivier, the Libertarian Party candidate- Westly and the Governator seeming to be two fairly reasonable people, no really bad results if either would have won.

But that was not to happen. Now we have, in my opinion, a horrific candidate in Angelides, vs. a pretty much left leaning middle of the roader in Schwarzenegger. As Schwarzenegger moves further to the Left, it moves me more toward taking the third party route with Olivier, but I can't see Schwarzenegger morphing into such a lefty that there'd be no real difference between him and Angelides . One of those cases where I'll just have to wait and see.

Speaking of the LP's gubernatorial candidate, Art Olivier, he just got a decent write up from the Orange County Register's, Steve Greenhut:

Libertarians choose an adult

From Steven Greenhut:

The California Libertarian Party has done itself proud by nominating former Bellflower Mayor Art Olivier as its sacrificial lamb in the governor's race. Olivier, who attended an Editorial Board with the Register yesterday, shows a new seriousness by the party. We know he has no chance of winning, and probably has no chance of even getting 10 percent of the vote.

But it is significant that the party has selected someone who is intelligent, serious, professional and
actually has somewhat of a successful political background. Mayor of Bellflower ain't the biggest deal, but he has more political experience than our current governor had before winning office. I'm pleased by his position on immigration, although here is one position that divides even libertarians.

Olivier is well positioned to receive protest votes from Republicans who are disgusted by their governor's leftward tilt. Unfortunately, the Libertarians don't have much of a budget to get out the message.

16 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that the dems (I am one) made a truly big mistake with Angelides. Seems that the moderate dems have been pushed out by the more extremest with the result as Angelides. Too bad - Westly would have really given the terminator a good run. As it is, I see a lot of alienated dems voting for Arnold as Angelides is way too out there on most issues including but not limited to taxes.

I never thought that blue me would vote red but Angelides is definitely a NOT

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Refresh my memory: Was Angiledes chosen at the State Convention and Westly won the primary, or was it the other way around? I still get that mixed up.

I believe he was chosen via the Convention, which is what ends up counting in the end. More proof that it's the party hard core that dominates the conventions. And, yes, it's often true of Libertarian Party conventions, as well.

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe that Angelides was chosen by the party AND won the primary. I think that he was really annointed by the party well before the primary, as he has come up through the party over many years, but Westly's strong campaign forced them to have to wait.

Unfortunately, Westly's last minute turn to the negative ads really turned off a lot of potential supporters (including me,) and handed Schwarzenegger his first volley against Angelides. Schwarzenegger's campaign actually handled the "Lake Tahoe developers" accusation much better than Westly, merely putting the words in Westly's mouth and asking "What if Steve Westly was right?"

Westly wasn't right on that issue. His campaign really, really misrepresented Angeleides' involvement and role in that issue. I have to give credit to the Governator's campaign for their clever strategy of repeating a false claim without taking any ownership of it.

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be voting for Arnold. But he needs to deliver on his promise to make California more business friendly. As it is now, if we could, we would move our business out of state, and when we retire, we will definitely flee the state, unless omething is done to ensure that we can afford to live here (i.e.: stop excessive taxation).

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Jeff Kelley said...

Ok Fred, don't tell anybody, but I'm starting to think Arnold (still can't spell his last name from memory) is a halfway decent governor. And I just can't get excited about Angelides. This is coming from a yellow dog democrat. I voted for the other guy in the primary (can't remember is name, but I liked him). I'm not the only liberal who feels this way. I think you may get a surprise this election, but it's still early.

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just curious, does anyone have any evidence of any kind to support the oft-heard allegation that regulations are causing businesses to flee California? I don't mean anecdotes, I mean numbers, data, or statistics to show that the number of businesses in the State has actually declined over some period of time, and that this decline is not due to other factors, such as:

>consumption or consolidation of small businesses into larger ones

>the trailing edge of the dot.com bust

>loss of manufacturing due to global influences (i.e. 3rd-world labor and NO environmental regulations whatsoever)

>increased outsourcing of once-local tech jobs to India and elsewhere

I know that we can all offer up our own anecdotes to support whatever we want, but I can't quite square the reality that California is the 4th largest economy in the world with the constant assertion that we unfriendly to business.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

9:26 wrote, "I believe that Angelides was chosen by the party AND won the primary.".

I was just checking the Sec of State's web site and I see the results as 48% Angiledes, 43% Westly.

I could of sworn the vote count was opposite the results of the state caucus vote, but maybe I'm remembering things wrong again? I thought Westly won in one of those votes.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

10:08 wrote, "Just curious, does anyone have any evidence of any kind to support the oft-heard allegation that regulations are causing businesses to flee California?".

Good point. About the only business I can think of personally is, whatever it was called, in Arcata, that moved to Oregon.

About the only ones I've heard of that are moving here are foreign businesses. Couldn't give you a list of names, though.

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for looking it up, Fred. I wasn't positive myself.

10:08 guy

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Hey, I'm here to help. And it was no easy task. I HATE large .pdf files. You have to wait for the file to load and then scroll around to find what you want.

Oh, per my previous post: Was it Yakima that moved to Oregon?

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. The original owners of the company had scathing things to say about the new corporate parent moving the company. They particularly took issue with the assertion that it was due to the regulatory climate or other issues regarding Arcata, Humboldt, or California in general, rather than just the geographical remoteness of our area.

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and BTW, I have troubles with opening large pdf files in my browser, too. I find it much faster to right-click and save the file to my computer, then open it. For some reason, they seem to download 100X faster, and they are then much easier to navigate around.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

So what makes Angelides "extreme?" He seems kind of mikqutoast centrist to me, but then I guess I'm extreme.

 
At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter Camejo from the Green Party is posting 4%, which is more support then David Cobb has ever received in this county or state.

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no suprise there, camejo can actually string a sentence together without screaming or using the words 'yall' or 'ya hear'

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course David Cobb will never run for office again after getting his ass handed to him in 04. His TS columns are all about selling people on his fake nonprofit Demockery Limited.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home