Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Berg's Paperless Campaign

I hadn't noticed the absence of State Assemblybabe, Patty Berg's, campaign signs until I read this article in today's Times- Standard. Maybe that shows all these mailers and signs don't have the effect on people campaigns like to think they do?

Her campaign plans on running itself through her campaign web site, the kind of thing that third party candidates are usually stuck with, if they can even manage that. I think this is a pretty bold move on her part, bucking the traditional systems that at most candidates feel they can't win without.

But, she still has the advantage of incumbency which, by itself, is a force to be reckoned with. Still, I'll give credit where credit is due: A risky thing to do in the conventional sense of campaigning.

Then again, my vote in the State Assemby race will be going to Tom Reed, the Libertarian Party candidate, and he was pretty much running a paperless campaign from the get- go.

I have the feeling that, after the votes are all counted, there will be no way to tell if Berg's paperless campaign helped or hurt her. My gut feeling is it won't have made much difference as far as votes lost or gained, but they'll have saved themselves lots of money.

8 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Democrats win this seat. That's the way it is. And there are no contested Democratic primaries around here because of the Thompson-Berg stranglehold on the party. So she doesn't need to run a campaign. It's not saving trees she cares about. There's no way she can lose, so why spend the money?

That's nice for her. I'm sure everybody will compliment her about it at the Democrat of the year dinner. "Oh Patty, that's such a good idea. You always have good ideas like that. Will you take a picture with my baby?"

AAAAAaahhhh... the last thing that woman needs is an ego boost.

 
At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gawd i wish the third parties would get together to take this corruptocrat down.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yep. For as long as I've lived here the Assembly seat has always been held by a democrat. She did get an unwelcome surprise, though, when Republican Rob Brown got a lot more votes than anybody expected.

And speaking of gerrymandering :-) I'm surprised more incumbents don't just run paper campaigns, since the way they've redrawn the districts basically ensures their own re- election.

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never understood how gerrymandering could work. I mean, no matter how they redraw the lines of a district, there are still the same number of people in it who will still vote the way they choose.

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure Patty did a lot of polling to make sure he had the win locked before embarking on a "risky" paperless campaign.

If I know one thing for certain, it's that politicians don't do anything that's "risky" unless they know the outcome.

So, Fred, tell me more about your lib candidate. All I know is I'm not voting for Patty. I'm a registered Dem, but after seeing her in the paper in a foursome with Kerrigan, LaVallee, and Neeley, looking all "high school sweethearts", I just can't bring myself to vote for her....

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Well, most of what I know about the Lib candidate, Tom Reed, is just from what's on his web page www.tomreed.org. Pretty much the typical LP candidate: What you see is what you get.

He should be attending the League of Women Voters forum for state assembly candidates, October 9 on KEET TV. I'll have to make a note to watch that show myself.

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will not vote for her! Democrat here.

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I am sure Patty did a lot of polling to make sure he had the win locked before embarking on a "risky" paperless campaign."

And how are you sure about that? Skepticism from a news article a sure voter does not make...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home