Monday, November 06, 2006

Recorded Campaign Phone Calls

Just got yet another one of those pre- recorded campaign pitch phone calls, this one from Bruce McPherson (what's he running for?).

Get back home from Frisco and the answering machine had a couple messages, both of them a couple other pre- recorded campaign messages from whomever. I erased them as soon as I heard it was a recording.

These phone calls are ridiculous and shameless, but I guess they must work or campaigns wouldn't use them? Any of you actually listened to the whole message on any of those? I'm too proud.
*******
Addendum: I've noticed Eric and Herald blogging about supposed vote suppressing activities by the Republicans.

I don't know about that, but I just noticed this item mentioned on Dan Weintraub's California Insider pointing to a lefty blog saying Republicans are using "robocalls" to piss people off by calling in the middle of the night under the guise of being from a democratic candidate's campaign.

Pretty neat idea, actually, and it seems to me I've heard accusations of campaigns doing this before. If this is actually happening, and it gets out of hand, maybe campaigns will give up on the auto- calls because of the negative feelings people have of them?

Then again, if campaigns are using robo- calls for such nefarious purposes, they won't really care about people hating them. They're banking on it, aren't they?

2 Comments:

At 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fred-

As a volunteer phone banker for a local campaign, I can tell you that while it is difficult and tough work (I'll never be rude to a telemarketer ever again!) it is often rewarding work. You'd be surprised, actually, at how many folks were indeed grateful to be have more info., be informed. I know it's entirely obnoxious to receive solicitious phone calls, but it does work- especially if you take the time to talk to someone one-on-one as a human being and not a pre-programmed robot. It's all about the grass-roots GOTV effort, baby!

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'm talking about the recorded phone calls where you pick up the phone and a pre- recorded message starts up telling you to vote for someone. I don't believe that's what you were doing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home