Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Wal Mart vs. Gottschalks Thing

I thought that was a pretty even handed story the Times- Standard did on the speculation over Wal Mart supposedly being interested in buying Gottschalks. Time will tell if Wal Mart actually is interested in such a deal. Even if they are, I doubt an actual Wal Mart will end up at the Bayshore Mall. This looks like just a business deal to me.

One thing I never knew was K Mart bought out Sears some years ago. As someone in the story mentioned, I haven't noticed any changes in Sears since K Mart took it over.

But, sometimes changes do occur. I think- what used to be- Payless Drugs in Eureka went downhill after Rite Aid bought out them out and actually took over and changed the name of their stores. That happened so long ago I can't remember what exactly it was I liked about the old Payless as opposed to today's Rite Aid.

4 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger Rose said...

PayLess in Arcata was great, too, Fred. Rite Aid doesn't even come close.

WalMart at the Mall seems to be a good fit. And if people shop there they will be successful. If they don't they will leave, as so many other stores have done. Where does that leave Fortuna?

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe Fortuna can have a Wal*Mart-they seem to want one.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Except I don't think it will end up being a Wal Mart. I think it's just one of those things where one company buys another, for whatever reason. Let's just hope they don't screw it up, like Rite Aid did to Payless.

 
At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember the old Disco store on the north end of Eureka as your leaving town, later bought by Bazzar? Now that was a great big box store. One of the best sporting goods departments ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home