Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Horse Carriages Are Back

I'll have to admit I don't think I ever saw the old horse carriages in Old Town, Eureka, back when they had the carriage service years ago. That's probably because I can count on one hand the number of times I visit Old Town in a year.

That said, horses are a fun thing to have around but I'm not sure I understand all the enthusiasm about their return.

The Times- Standard article quotes city council dude, Larry Glass, describing the old carriage business as "a gold mine". He's of the impression the horses were of great benefit to Old Town.

If they were, I have to wonder why the owners gave up on the carriage business?

I vaguely remember reading about the carriage business shutting down some years ago. Can't remember the reason for it, though. Does anyone else remember the details?

I think it's a fun idea, but I'll have to admit to being much like Larry Glass was when the carriages first showed up some years ago. I'm skeptical they can really make a go of it, but I wish them luck.

5 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring back Eureka's trolleys.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Carol said...

An acquaintance of mine at the Ferndale gym ran the horse carriage in Eureka for awhile. I'm not sure why she got out of it. I think Barnaby was the name of the horse. Then George Enos ran the carriage rides in Ferndale with Barnaby until they had to retire Barnaby for biting and getting into other horse mischief. Fawn ran the carriage rides for awhile in Ferndale with her horse, Queenie. But Fawn left the area, so there are no carriage rides in Ferndale either.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger hucktunes said...

Too Tall Tim ran the carriage around Old Town for a number of years until he and his wife moved to Hawaii a couple years ago. He also ran the little train and his wife had the pony rides that were so popular at the fairs and events around the area. He was also a member of the band Tumbleweeds that plays weekly at Chapala restaurant in Old Town. Many times when I played at Old Town Bistro on Thursday night he would give me a ride to work in the carriage. Another time a fellow paid me and a buddy twenty bucks to seranade him while Tim rode us around Old Town. Tim worked hard keeping that business going, trailering the horse in every morning, hitching him up to the carriage that he kept in the old Snug in Snug Ally and he was always so generous. He would always give me rides when he saw me with my grand daughter walking around Old Town. What a great guy. I haven't heard from him but I imagine he keeps in touch with Dace from Tumbleweeds.

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad Fred,

Old Town is easliy the best part of Eureka

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wait till there are 20 trains a day loaded with containers coming through old town. That will be so quaint and great for business.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home