Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mixing Up Papers?

That's what I thought might of happened in regards Jim Garvey's letter about the confederate flag controversy after reading this letter in the Eureka Reporter by Judith Peebles. She referred to Jim Garvey's letter and, sure enough, I found it by going through the list of past letters in the Reporter. I was thinking maybe I'd read it in the Eureka Reporter, not the Times- Standard.

Funny thing about the two letters is that Peebles says she agrees with Garvey's letter, at least as referring to this issue as being a civics lesson. If you compare the two letters, though, Peebles actually disagrees- strongly I would think- with Garvey's position.

After reading Garvey's letter again, I think it's even goofier than when I first read it- him equating flying a confederate flag to yelling fire in a crowded theater. I liked the way a comment on the Nobody's Business blog defined free speech:

"I would argue that the only expression that even requires protection is that which offends somebody."

Well said, and sad commentary by Garvey, in my opinion, although I suspect he's just trying to show that he cares.

I actually didn't mix up the two papers in regards this letter, though. I'm sure I read Garvey's letter in the Times- Standard the first time. He just sent the letter to both papers, as many people do. For whatever reason, they still haven't posted that letter online.

3 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

I don't know what "bill of rights" Jim Garvey is referring to but it is sure not the one I have read. A few years ago (2003?) the state of Georgia removed the stars and bars from its flag due to the whining of the professional race pimps in Atlanta and DeKalb county (Cynthia McKinney's district). It caused quite a stir throughout the rest of the state and the governor promised a referendum on it. He reneged on the promise and the kerfuffle became known as the "flaggot flap". Now the old flag is more in evidence than before, with the new ones only displayed on public buildings. Incidentally, the stars and bars were only added to the flag in 1954.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger robash141 said...

although It may not occoured to ya pair of obtuse fellows such as yourselves.
Perhaps you could consider that it is not just the figment of some overwrought sensibilities of someone's PC imagination
Maybe the reason why people believe the Confederate flag has racist conotations is becuse the Ku klux Klan and the Neo Nazis are always waving them at their rallies. Those folks aren't exactly coy about their racism and they use that flag as one of thier symbols.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Pogo said...

Haven't been to any of those events lately. Guess it goes for crosses too. Keep us posted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home