Monday, March 10, 2008

What...no internet outage?

I guess it must have just been me. Am I the only one who had their internet service go down yesterday? Mine was down from around 2pm until at least the time I went to bed around 8:30.

From the looks of it, I figured the main fiber optic cable got severed again. I was online one minute, then I rebooted the computer to play Aces High. After the reboot I couldn't connect again. At first I thought maybe it was the computer, but I even hooked up the phone line and tried the dial- up number. It didn't work either.

That's pretty much the way it worked when the main fiber cable was severed last time so I figured it might have happened again. Seems to me I've seen construction crews still working on the side of the road, near Weott, where they severed the line before.

I expected to hear about the outage from some of the blogs this morning, but not a word, not even in the newspaper. I guess it was just me. How depressing.
*********
For some reason yesterday's outage really showed me how much I depend on my computer, or more accurately, the internet. It wasn't so much Sunday that got to me, but this morning.

I woke up this morning and realized there really wasn't much I could do in the dark, since the internet might still be down. I went to the bathroom and looked at the DSL modem while passing by. Only three green lights showing so I guess it's still down. What am I going to do?

I figured I'd have to at least wait for sunrise to get up as most everything I do in the morning, with the exception of breakfast is internet related. Well, it was kind of nice to just lay in bed, but I need the weather forecast, among other things. How will I get that without my internet up and running?

Finally, about 6:30ish I got up to go to the bathroom again. Still just three lights on the modem. For some reason I thought there was supposed to be four lights if the connection was up and running. I decided I should try going online, anyway, and turned the computer on. Within a couple minutes I was online again.

I guess I was wrong about the three green lights. The four (actually five) green lights on the DSL modem show when the computer is on. The three lights are on all the time. Glad to finally get that straight.


9 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger kaivalya said...

I had connectivity all day yesterday and last night. Must have just been your neighborhood. I can always tell when the fiber optic line is down because you can't use your credit card anywhere in town and usually my cell phone stops working for a while.

Now if the fiber line did go out, I wouldn't have to come to work today. Would have been a great monday for me.

Next time, try powering off and on your modem - it may just want a new IP address.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I actually reset the modem 2 or 3 times with no results. Usually when it's looking for an IP address there's a little search icon that shows up in my taskbar(?) showing the modem is trying to find something.

 
At 11:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes when you think it is your modem/router it is actually your computer. Don't forget to reboot it too when this happens.

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Finally, about 6:30ish I got up to go to the bathroom again."

TMI.

It seems ATMs were down early this morning. At least three people, myself included, couldn't use debit cards about 1:30 a.m.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger kaivalya said...

Aww well, it's never that easy, is it?

I know that SBCGlobal (ATT/Yahoo/PacBell) has dial-up connections as a last resort. I use it sometimes when I'm travelling, but I always forget my username and password. Of course, if the backbone was actually down, dialup wouldn't work either.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Well Suddenlink went down last night - their helpful hotline said they had issues in the Eureka Truckee area of California. Up this morning and no explanation.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im sick of all that noise and garbage wafting over here from Truckee.................
Commutes a bitch too.

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been having problems with my DSL connection which is most likely due to my phone lines. I am thinking about switching to cable. Should I?

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Hayduke said...

Go to DSLReports.com and run a speed test. if it is anywhere close to the speed you are purchasing then the lines are probably OK. Make sure you have filters on any regular phones.

if you are having phone line problems it is more likely your "inside wiring" then the phone companies, but it is possible for your line to your dwelling to be bad, though unlikely. if you happen to have "inside wiring insurance" from the phone company, complain and make them fix it.

If the problems persist you can switch to cable, though that is not perfect either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home