Sunday, August 31, 2008

Recycle Your Scrap Metal

I guess not everyone knows that used metal can be recycled. I was at Eureka City Garbage today. Saw a guy back up to the dump area and start dumping. At first it looked like he just had wood in the back of his truck and I wondered why he didn't drop the wood in with the green waste. Then I realized he had a lot of plywood. Plywood doesn't belong with the green waste.

Then he starts unloading a bunch of thin flat pieces of aluminum, or some other metal. Looked like something taken from a bunch of appliances and flattened out. He just tossed them in with the rest of the garbage. I thought I should probably go over and say something to him but it was probably too late. Then again, I suppose he could of loaded the stuff back up and taken to the other side of the lot to the scrap metal pile and saved some weight he'd be paying for.

Anyway, for those of you that don't know, Eureka City Garbage has a scrap metal bin at its recycling center. It's the first one on the left as you look into the recycling center from the parking side.

You can dump all kinds of metal there. I just dropped off an old lawnmower blade today and, after my trailer got wrecked that last time, I disassembled it and dropped the pieces in the scrap metal bin. Nice way to get rid of some rather hefty stuff.

I think Eureka City Garbage should put a scrap metal bin over at the regular garbage dump spot. They already have a cardboard and wood bin. Neat thing about that would be City Garbage gets paid twice for the same scrap metal: Once by the guy who goes through the scales and pays for all the weight when he leaves and again when they sell the metal for scrap.

Nothing wrong with taking advantage of some folks ignorance in a case like that and they kind of do that already with wood and cardboard.

7 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger beachcomber said...

Isn't that amazing when you see something like that, Fred? I can't believe it when people dump bags of aluminum cans from their party cleanup? Don't people realize they have paid CRV, then they're paying when they dump the stuff and HWMA will (hopefully) retrieve it and get the CRV back for recycling. Some people really are dolts.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger ΛΕΟΝΙΔΑΣ said...

Another "scrap" metal item one should be aware of is the US one cent coin. Those struck in 1982 and prior are pure copper which is now worth over twice+ face value. The later ones are mostly zinc which is also increasing in value. This is additional evidence of our imperial government at work stealing from the people over and above the confiscatory taxes it exacts.

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Eureka City Garbage deserves huge praise for their new recycling sort protocols, Fred.

It used to be a pain in the butt to separate #1 from #2 from #5 plastics, different colored glass, newsprint from office paper, etc.

Now you can recycle and easily drop it off with minimal hassle and time. I just noticed the scrap metal bin the last time I was there. I'm thinking about scrap metal items to recycle.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"I'm thinking about scrap metal items to recycle.".

One time I was there there must have been twenty or so bicycle frames in the scrap metal bin.

"It used to be a pain in the butt to separate #1 from #2 from #5 plastics, different colored glass, newsprint from office paper, etc.".

To be perfectly honest, every time I see the new set up there it makes my skin crawl. I actually used to kind of enjoy sorting everything out and making sure it goes into the right bin.

I guess I'm getting used to it but I'm just used to seeing everything in the right place. I used to get pissed before when I'd see people had thrown stuff in the wrong bin. Now it's like that on steroids with glass, plastic and all the container type stuff going into one bin.

Again, I am getting used to it so I've come up with my latest pet peeve: People who throw cardboard boxes into the paper bin without flattening them. There's a sign on the bin that says to flatten the boxes. That way it saves room. Too much to ask from some people, I guess.

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, Thanks for posting this info. I didn't know that scrap iron or steel was recyclable. Yesterday I got rid of a pile of unsightly metal 'stuff' that had been residing in my back yard.

The setup at the Eureka recycling place is pretty simple to use.

GB

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obama / McCain LARGE campaign sign-wanted
I am looking for any large campaign signs. I do not care which candidate they are for. The signs must be both the LARGE kind, not the small yard signs, and made of Coroplast (looks like cardboard but made from plastic) not the thin, flimsy plastic sheeting kind. The signs will be used to make a pen for my chicks (baby chickens). They have a double wall construction and have insulation values to help hold in warmth from the heat lamps. I will come and pick them up. Please call me at 707 498 3684
Thank you
Kathy

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous scrap metal recycling said...

Yes Eureka setup is good

 

Post a Comment

<< Home