Wednesday, August 27, 2008

No more clean ups?

You know, like the annual beach and river clean ups we have around here. I suspect the Adopt- a- Highway program would be affected, as well. The Sacramento Bee reports if the legislature doesn't act by the end of next week, any program that accepts government money and uses volunteers will have to begin paying those volunteers.

There's some dispute amongst the powers that be whether the state can exempt volunteers from this soon- to- be- enacted state law. I would hope the Governor would act to exempt the volunteers, assuming there's legal grounds to do so. I don't expect the legislature to act on this, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised?

1 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your lead-in to the story got me so mad, I just jumped right over here to Comments.

If the legislature messes up our voluteer highway clean-up programs, I have the solution.

Put the legislators into orange jump-suits and make them take all their vacations at the roadsides of California, cleaning up those highways with their own two hands! The Governor, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home