Sunday, September 28, 2008

Janne and Brandon

I've noticed this part of the Eureka Reporter's Sunday Life section before. You can't see it online but, in the hard copy, they include pictures. A photo- essay, if you will, of certain weddings that took place around the county. One thing I don't understand is why they feature weddings that happened so long ago?

Today's featured wedding is that of my nephew, Brandon Rasmussen, to Janne Debets. Why are they doing that one now? The wedding was a couple months ago on July 12. Great space filler, I suppose.

I actually do my best to stay away from depressing events such as weddings or funerals. Like car wrecks, I don't like hearing or seeing them but I can't help but look when I'm driving by one.

So, I tend to stop and look at this particular column when I'm reading the Sunday paper. Kind of like those car wrecks. I guess it's morbid curiosity.

I suppose a lot of others besides myself have that same morbid curiosity and that's what the Eureka Reporter is trying to appeal to in publishing photos of these months old weddings. Hey, a dead body often looks even more gruesome a few months after it died, doesn't it? Same with weddings, I would think.

The Reporter might have a winner with this strategy but, to really make it work, they should probably include funerals, as well.

11 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Joel Mielke said...

I like the ER's treatment of weddings. They put together a nice spread, mention the caterers, florists, photographers, etc.

Who cares if it happened yesterday, or six months ago?

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Kristabel said...

Hey, a dead body often looks even more gruesome a few months after it died, doesn't it? Same with weddings, I would think.

Fred...this made me laugh so hard I cried. You kill me.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"You kill me.".

No pun intended?

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Kristabel said...

Ha! Not at the time. By the way, that was me screaming "Hi Fred" out my car window at you yesterday. xo

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Seems to me I heard someone yelling something the other day. Were you in a red car? Saw some gal in a red car drive my house the other day that waved at me. From just a quick glance I thought it was Rose.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Kristabel said...

Rose! Did you see that? I'm sure you're thrilled I'm being mistaken for you.

Yep, that was me.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I didn't get all that good of a look but, after reading Beachcomber's blog this morning, I wondered if it was her. She has a link to the kind of car she has and the Scion xb looks kinda like the car you were in. Again, I only got a short look.

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

As the former editor/collector of Day to Remembers I can shed some light on the sections.

We use whatever weddings are submitted. If you got married and you want to have a day to remember and you get us the filled out form and 7-10 high rez photos, we'll probably run it. It's a way for community members to celebrate special days and for Brides to get ideas for their weddings.

It's a pain to try and find brides to submit since we need one every week, hell or high water. So if you know someone or you yourself wants to have a day to remember in the paper, please submit your special day to swest@eurekareporter.com.

Thanks for the quandary, hope that cleared things up.

(Note it's not a "Day the Just Happened" it's a "Day to Remember," of course you remember a wedding that happened last week.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yeah. I still remember the last car wreck I was in. That was back around '85.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Kristabel said...

snort

I swear, Fred, you are my favorite curmudgeon. xo

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Janne's mom, Ineke, and I were members of the Fortuna Babysitting Co-op. I remember babysitting Janne as a toddler. I gave her sister, Jasmine, voice lessons several years ago. I enjoy the wedding photos in the Eureka Reporter. I liked the photos of this wedding, especially the photo of the Dutch Clog Dance. Here is a toast to Janne and Brandon! Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home