Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Eureka Wards

A little discussion going on over at Heraldette's regarding Eureka's Ward system. I mentioned there are many who think it should be changed. Some think only people in a given Ward should be allowed to vote for the candidates seeking that seat. Some think it should just be switched to an at- large system where candidates could live wherever they want and the entire city could vote for them.

I suppose there's good points to either system. I'll stand aside on arguing over it. Just a few observations, though:

George Clark(4th) had his kick off event in Old Town. Wasn't that around the Gazebo area? I think that's the First Ward.

Wasn't Linda Atkins(2nd) there, too?

Polly Endert (2nd) held her kick off event at the Eureka Inn. That looks to actually be in the Third Ward- just the other side Seventh Street would be the Second Ward.

Frank Jager(4th) held his first fund raising event over on O or P Streets in Eureka, around Wood Street(?). Looks like he was well within the Fourth Ward.

Frank(4th) held his actual campaign kick off at the foot of F Street. That's solidly in the First Ward.

Linda Atkins(2nd) has an upcoming "Meet the Candidate" type event at the new coffee place around Sixteenth and F Streets in Eureka. That looks like the Third Ward to me.

Frank Jager(4th) was out pounding the pavement in my neighborhood yesterday. No, not looking for dead bodies. He was campaigning. I think I'm right on the border of the Third and Fifth Wards.

Does it really make any difference what Ward we're in?
*********
As an aside, I noticed something the other day: Both Frank and Linda are long time government employees. Both George and Polly are in the hospitality industry, assuming we lump restaraunts in with the hospitality industry. George is running against Frank, Linda against Polly.

Wouldn't it be more fun to have the match up between government employees (Frank and Linda) and hospitality industry folks (George and Polly) instead?

14 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger mresquan said...

Best thing to do is eliminate the wards,adopt ranked choice voting,and elect all 5 seats in the same election.

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first thing that comes to mind about a matchup between government employees and the hospitality ones are 20 waiters standing around watching a busser clear a table.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"elect all 5 seats in the same election.".

Problem with that is then you'd all five new people on the job all at once. No institutional memory, if you will.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Hi Fred!

I read on Richard Mark's blog that you might have "No on Prop. 8" signs. Do you still have any or know where I could get one?

Thanks!

Carol

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I don't have any but I know of a few places that have them, or are supposed to:

Auntie Mo's Lounge, on 5th Street in Eureka, is the main depot, but they open at 4 or 5 in the afternoon.

Someone was saying the ACLU office on 3rd Street has signs. I haven't confirmed that but a phone call could.

The gals I got mine from live just a little ways from me on the corner of Huntoon and K Streets. When I was there a few days ago I saw a few signs laying flat on the side of the house so they seem to have some.

That's Kathy and Diane and they live on the NE corner of the intersection of Huntoon and K Streets.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Thank you, Fred!

 
At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, as I was driving by your house yesterday early evening,
did I see you speaking to one of the contenders for the Eureka City Council on your front lawn?

Ever since the Blogger's Picnic, I'm able to spot fellow bloggers from quite a distance.

Oh, by the way, I support the fellow you were speaking with. The only way he wouldn't get my vote is over my dead body.......well, you know what I mean.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yes, I was talking to Frank Jager. He was campaigning up and down the street. Probably a mistake stopping by here as I wanted to show him something on my computer and held him up probably 45 minutes. What a guy!

He was walking up the other side of the street when I first saw him and he ended up knocking on the druggie house a couple houses up. The wife and I were surprised to see him go inside that house and spend quite some time there.

When he showed up here I mentioned I was surprised he spent so much time at the "druggie" house. Turns out, Frank says "I actually know him". I didn't ask from where.

BTW; A reminder from Frank's campaign:

A friendly reminder that tomorrow night, Thursday, October 2nd is the Frank Jager "Meet the Candidate" fundraiser from 5:30 – 8:00 pm at the Wharfinger Building on the bay.

We will have a widescreen TV set up in the lobby for those who wish to watch the VP debate.

Come and have a good time. Lost Coast and Mad River beers will be poured along with some great wines and appetizers.

We look forward to seeing you there!

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious

That George Clark would pander to the Unions about the rail, port and marina center.

Even funnier that Heraldo would chime in and contact the Clark campaign and get a completely different answer.

Funnier still is the strange silence emanating from Heraldo and Eric, when confronted with NAMES of Union Reps, like Sid Berg, who heard Clark speak...

Funniest of all is the silence from H-Pup (and Eric) when asked to do the SAME THING Heraldo did for verification from the CLARK CAMP - that is, email or contact the Unions and or their reps and see what they say.

Could it be that they do NOT want to hear the answer.

The fact is, George Clark has been a Loon, a gadfly, a flake, and now the progressives have hitched their wagon to him for this council run, and they know what a flake he is.

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Ward system question (along with ranked choice voting, contribution caps, etc.) will be on the menu at the Election Reform Forum the ACLU/Chamber of Commerce forum coming up after the election.

Eureka certainly has a peculiar system when compared to most other California cities, which use either pure at-large or a pure ward system.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Joel Mielke said...

Fred, I drove by your house yesterday too, on Google Street View. I didn't see you.

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the Carson Park Stalker to me!

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger khushi said...

The first thing that comes to mind about a matchup between government employees and the hospitality ones are 20 waiters standing around watching a busser clear a table.did I see you speaking to one of the contenders for the Eureka City Council on your front lawn?

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen this full series online. And its amazing show to watch. You can also watch Eureka Season 4 online by using this link.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home