Friday, February 06, 2009

Kenny's Little Creatures...

I see Doc Anchovy enjoyed some of the same music I did when I was younger. He did a post about some songs from an old Frank Zappa album, Just Another Band From L.A. Being a young, punk yippie back then, how could I not like these guys. Heck, I still enjoy the Mothers of Invention. Remember this Mothers' song? I think I might be forgetting a few lines:

(had a hard time formatting the song)
***********************************************



Now believe me when I tell you that my song is really true.

I want everyone to listen and believe.
It's about some little people from a long time ago,
and all the things the neighbors didn't know.

Early in the morning Daddy Dinky went to work,
selling lamps and chairs to San Ber'dino squares,
and I still remember Mama with her apron and her pad,
feeding all the boys at Ed's cafe.


Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day,
Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away.
And all the while on a shelf in the shed...
Kenny's little creatures on display.

You'd see them after school.
To some it might seem creepy what they do.
The neighbors on the right, sat and watched them every night.
I'd bet you'd do the same if they was you.

Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day,
Ronnie helping Kenny helping helping burn his poots away.
And all the while on a shelf in the shed,
Kenny's little creatures on display.

Kenny's in the Army now and Ronny's taking pills.
Oh, how they yearn, to see a bomber burn.
Thunder crashing, color flashing, dynamite machine.

Wait 'til the fire turns green.
Wait 'til the fire turns green.
Wait 'til the fire turns green.

I was trying to find all the words to that one but couldn't find anything in a quick search. Did find that Wikepedia covers both the album this was in- We're Only In It For The Money- and even explains the above song- Let's Make The Water Turn Black. I was really surprised that the song was based on real people. I never would of imagined that. How cool.

Doc Anchovy has inspired me to search around and maybe buy some Mother's of Invention tapes. DVD player on this computer is broken so I'll have to stick with cassettes. Haven't started looking just yet. Anyone know of a good place to buy old cassettes?

Addendum: I found the lyrics to the song. I missed one part.

10 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred my man, it's time to bump it up to CD.

"We would jam in Joe's garage
we didn't have no dope or LSD
just a couple of quarts of beer.."

I've been a Zappa fan for a long time myself.

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's not forget "Titties and Beer".

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Carol said...

I wasn't much of a Zappa fan, but read either a biography or autobiography about the artist. I found the stories about him working with symphony orchestras quite interesting. Frank would scribble notes on pages of music. He had a hard time keeping all the orchestral musicians together, and it was very expensive to produce the music.

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, one of my favorites subjects - Frank Zappa. Hello - first time posting here...

Carol - in his autobiography, The Real Frank Zappa Book, Frank wrote (it's been years, so I'm going by poor memory) that he didn't care much for lyrics in general, preferring instrumentals. One of the biggest reasons he wrote lyrics was so that people would buy his albums, which in turn would give him the money he needed to do the things he really wanted to do, such as composing orchestral arrangements.

His recording, "The Yellow Shark," performed by a German chamber ensemble in 1992, captures this beautifully. The musicians loved Frank and enjoyed performing his music as evidenced by their handwritten sentiments of appreciation shown in the liner notes.

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the true meaning of Zappa's catchy song, "Brown Shoes Don't Make It"?

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"What is the true meaning of Zappa's catchy song, "Brown Shoes Don't Make It"?".

Maybe to quit school, why fake it?

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Actually, Wikipedia actually tells a little about the song:
http://tinyurl.com/dzqxde

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Fred. I'll be checking it out in 10 seconds flat.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Doc Anchovy said...

Fred- You can get another CDRW or DVD combo for your computer for about $20, used. I have allot of cassettes too but I'm afraid that the future is finally here and CD's are the thing. I buy CD's from The Works (for new and used ones), CD Universe and the odd garage sale, thrift stores, etc.. Most of Zappa's catalog is availible at CD Universe and through zappa.com too. There's one of them new-fangled Sam Goody type places in the Bayshore Mall too. I've bought some cut rate Zappa from them on CD.

Thanks for the plug!
-Doc

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Kenny...the band would come over to see my "museum" of snakes, tarantulas, bugs, butterflies and all sort of critters...I had the honor of traveling to Greenwitch with the band in 1969....had the boa long before Alice!
kgd2@cox.net

 

Post a Comment

<< Home