Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Another Ethanol Problem

I recently posted about Renner Petroleum selling "Pure gasonline", the reason having to do with problems ethanol causes with engines. Just found out about another ethanol related problem.

Stihl
just announced a recall on some of their equipment because of a gas cap problem. I received my notice in the mail today. It seems that ethanol, among other things, affects the components of the cap making it difficult to install or remove.

SO THAT'S WHAT IT IS?


My heavy duty Stihl string trimmer was fine for a few years but a few months ago it became a major hassle trying to open the fuel cap, and especially difficult to close it. I was thinking I'd have to take it in and buy a new cap but now, with the recall, they'll replace it free. Cool! Problem solved.

Makes me wonder how many more ethanol related problems will come to light?

4 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger Tom Sebourn said...

Thanks for the info Fred, I passed the last tip along on kgoe and gave you credit for getting the story out there.

Keep up the good work. We chew up and kill weed wackers and lawn equipment. This ethanol problem is just one more thing to deal with.

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Fred
Ethanol eats away at seals in the carb and other parts of the engine. It burns, but it's a poor lubricant and will cost more in the long run. I've had 4 carbs fail on small motors from this, so I'll be buying real gas to run in these from now on. Even though it's more expensive, it's much cheaper than the $120 to replace a carb.

 
At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info on the gas....and I've been having a hell of time getting that gas cap off my weed eater for some time. I'll go see if I can get a free one.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Eel River Ernie said...

Thanks for the heads up Fred, I do buy all of my small engine fuel at Renner's and haven't had a problem with any of them. My 2010 F-150 is a "dual fuel" vehicle so hopefully I won't have issues down the road with it either(no pun intended.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home