Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The Fredster Makes the Tri City Weekly

The Tri City Weekly's cover story this week was on haunted houses in the county. The writer contacted me for some info after reading a post I made here (March 15, 2008) a few years ago on the same subject.

Here's the part he put together from our interview:

'Fred Mangles has lived in several Eureka locations since 1973, some of which are haunted.

”The house I (currently) live in on K Street was haunted,” Mangles said. “I would go upstairs and feel this weird cold draft, it felt strange and I heard noises. My wife, Connie, would sometimes feel like there was a little girl behind her tugging at her shirt. But then we got a cat and it went away. I think it is because the ghost got someone to play with.”

He said he lived in a house on the corner of Trinity and E streets that spooked him. He would wake up with odd sensations. He had heard stories of people dying in the house, but never verified them. He said that before he moved into that house, a fire charred the upstairs."

Never mind the misspelled last name. Everybody does that.

I'm not sure where he got some of that. I don't recall saying most of what he wrote and he got the houses in reverse. I live at Trinity and E Streets now, not K Street, and both the wife and I used to have weird feelings upstairs. I never felt a cold draft or heard noises.

The house on K Street was when I was staying with the Scarpellinos back around '74ish. The upstairs was rumored to be haunted with reports of people seeing someone in the upstairs window when nobody was there and one guy reporting seeing an image standing over someone else while he was asleep.

That was it. If you want to read the whole story, here it is: Haunted Humboldt County's lore includes spooky stories, macabre myths.


3 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems Bronze Age superstitions will never leave us.

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous skippy said...

Nice article. Thanks, Fredster.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Can I have y'er autograph, sir?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home