Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Humboldt Fog

Maybe I just don't get out much but I've always wondered when I go to weather.com and it's foggy out. I've seen it umpteen times, just as it says this morning: Near zero visibility in dense fog. Use caution

What? Every time it's said that I can see fairly well. Sure, it's foggy but even when I got up this morning I could see at least two blocks looking out my back door. Do we ever get real zero visibility fog here?

Maybe we have down by the seashore but it's been a while since I've been down by the ocean when it's foggy. I'm not sure I can ever remember having trouble driving because of the fog up here.

Down in Southern California where I came from, now there's where you get some dense fog- the real zero visibility stuff. We didn't get it often but I remember one night when I lived in Irvine. I went inside to eat dinner. It was clear outside when I went in. 

When I came back outside a fog had developed. It was so thick I literally couldn't see my hand when I extended it in front of my face. I stood out in front of my house thinking it would be impossible for people to drive in that. I waited, expecting to hear some vehicle collisions but never did.

That was probably the exception. Most fog down there was thick, but not so thick you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. The Central Valley supposedly gets it real thick, too. That's when you hear of the mega car pileups on I-5, although I don't recall hearing about any of those in some time.

Anyway, just saying. I don't think the fog up here is near as thick as some like to say it is and I don't know I've ever heard of accidents occurring because of the fog. Heavy rain, maybe, but not fog. Then again, as I wrote earlier, maybe I don't get out much?

2 Comments:

At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try the national weather service they've got meteorologists right here on Woodley Island.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?map.x=109&map.y=167&minlon=-126&maxlon=-119.98&minlat=38.5&maxlat=42.95&mapwidth=354&site=eka&zmx=1&zmy=1

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. Weather.gov is the best choice. Many commercial weather services simply repackage National Weather Service reports because those reports are in the public domain. You'll never get a better authority than a full NWS report.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home