Monday, October 15, 2012

My Latest Letter Is In

Sent my latest letter in to the Times- Standard this morning. E- mailed it around 7:30 and was surprised to get a phone call from them just after 9am confirming I sent the letter. Wow! That was fast. Maybe it's because I work hard to keep my letters short.

Did they really need to call me? Doesn't anybody who is anybody around here know who I am and the kind of stuff I write?

I'll try and surprise you with the subject, but I'm sure my hard- hitting commentary won't be any surprise. I had second thoughts after I sent it. Not that I changed my mind on the issue. I just thought maybe a couple of other subjects might have been better.

I was thinking of maybe writing in support of Tom Lynch for 2nd Assembly District, or Charlie Bean for Ward 2, Eureka City Council. Too late now, unless they don't publish this one.

Tom Lynch is kind of iffy, as my support for him is only based on his feelings the state hasn't shown spending discipline and he's concerned about the public pension problems. That's something Chesbro is ill- equipped to deal with. My problem being I don't know much about his stand on other issues. Still, Lynch stands above Chesbro on those issues alone.

I've wrote elsewhere I don't see any big changes in the goings on in Eureka regardless of who wins the Ward 2 race. Eureka has pretty much moved along the same as long as I've lived here regardless of who sits on the city council. It would be nice to have the one person win in that race that's above the Left vs. Right, us vs. them squabble. Charlie Bean is clearly the one not involved in that fray so he should get the nod.

Too late to write those letters as you're only allowed one per months at the Times- Standard.




6 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, they need to verify you wrote the letter, for an obvious reason. It's standard procedure at major dailies.

I'm still a Democrat, but I ended by financial support locally over this issue. He is still highly regarded. It baffles me.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I know all about Salzman and I know most papers call to verify. I could see it with this one if it was controversial or something I wouldn't normally write, but it was none of those.

Some papers call one time and don't others. I don't believe I ever got a call from the Santa Rosa Press- Democrat regarding my last two letters with them, but those weren't really all that controversial.

The S.F. Chronicle called for each of the 2 1/2 letters I had published there and the L.A. Times called for the one or two I had published with them.

The New York Examiner never called on one I sent to them. I never knew they published it until I did a search of my name one day and a link to that letter showed up.

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How would you feel if the newspaper printed a letter with your name at the bottom, but you didn't write the letter? Do you think you haven't annoyed people with the viewpoints expressed on your blog?

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I wouldn't like it, even if I agreed with the letter. Still, the T-S folks should be savvy enough to know when it's something I wrote. I'm famous, after all!

As an aside, most of us have likely forgotten the letter sent in years ago by what was supposed to be some gal who worked at...was it a dental office??? Something like that, anyway.

The letter ran down everybody in the office that supposedly worked with her. When I read that in the paper I thought it was questionable whether it should have been published even if it was legit. It turned out to be phony and the T-S didn't call to verify.

They blew it big time on that one as that letter was obviously one that should have been verified, assuming it was to be published at all.

 
At 3:46 AM, Anonymous Sildenafil Citrate said...

Tom Lynch is kind of iffy, as my support for him is only based on his feelings the state hasn't shown spending discipline and he's concerned about the public pension problems. That's something Chesbro is ill- equipped to deal with.

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous santa rosa dentist said...


Lots of Good information in your post, I favorited your blog post so I can visit again in the future, Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home